Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Don't Call it a Comeback vol. III: Toad the Wet Sprocket


It seems like once a week I am listening to my iTunes library and I hear a song that makes me go, this artist really needs a comeback. So I thought I would start a new feature here on the 9th Green highlighting an artist that really needs to reenter the public consciousness. The only criterion is that the artist hasn’t had a legitimate hit in over a decade.

Due for a Comeback: Toad the Wet Sprocket

Biggest Hit: All I Want



Last Hit: Good Intentions (1996)

Where Are They Now: The group broke up in 1998 but regroups occasionally for shows. Lead singer Glen Phillips released three albums last decade. Last year the band released its first new studio track in over a decade, the Sam Phillips holiday tune It Doesn’t Feel Like Christmas. Word has it they currently writing songs for a new album which would be their first since 1997’s Coil.

Why the World Needs a Toad the Wet Sprocket Comeback: Because modern rock has all but disappeared. Maybe it was my formative year, but I remember the mid nineties music very fondly with so called modern rock from Toad and similar bands like Hootie and the Blowfish, Counting Crows, Better than Ezra, and Blues Traveler. Only Dave Matthews Band seemed to transition well into the new millennium, but maybe a reunited group that started the trend (unless you consider R.E.M. part of the genre) can kick start the modern rock movement. Even if it isn’t very modern anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment