I have gotten a plethora of cool press releases have been flooding my inbox recently that you may find interesting. This post will include blurbs on The National Women’s Soccer League, TNT, Twin Peaks, The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, American Jihad, and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.
- The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) and A+E Networks have entered an historic partnership whereby A+E Networks will become the league’s newest investor with an equity stake in the National Women’s Soccer League, joining the existing team ownership groups. As one of the leading women’s media brands, Lifetime, will become an official sponsor and broadcast partner of the league in a three-‐year deal, beginning in April. The strategic investment is accompanied by the creation of a new joint venture, NWSL Media, and marks a watershed moment in the league’s history that will bolster the league’s growth and support of the teams, players and fans. Lifetime, the premier entertainment destination for women, is making an unprecedented commitment with a three-‐year agreement to be the official broadcast partner. For the first time in NWSL’s history, a league game will be broadcast on television every weekend of the season. The NWSL Game of the Week on Lifetime will provide fans throughout the country with a live viewing platform every Saturday at 4 p.m. ET to watch the best players in the world. A pre-‐game show will kick off each weekly event at 3:30 p.m. ET. Showcasing the network’s sponsorship and commitment to the league, Lifetime will be featured on all official jerseys with a patch on the right sleeve.
- This Summer, TNT is debuting some hot new and returning shows with the series premiere of Claws and Will and the season two premiere of Animal Kingdom. Check out and share these four first look promos showcasing the originals coming to TNT in 2017.
- Starting on Wednesday, March 1, Showtime is offering its subscribers the opportunity to catch up on the phenomenon that is Twin Peaks by making the original series’ prequel film FIRE WALK WITH ME available on the Showtime streaming service, SHOWTIME ANYTIME® and SHOWTIME ON DEMAND®. Fire Walk with Me will also debut on air on Wednesday, March 1 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. Set before the original Twin Peaks, Fire Walk with Me is directed by David Lynch and chronicles the seven days leading up to the brutal murder of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee). With the first two seasons of Twin Peaks already available across all of its platforms, SHOWTIME is offering subscribers the opportunity to binge watch the entirety of the original series ahead of the new Twin Peaks debut on May 21.
- Featuring acclaimed Syrian clarinet player Kinan Azmeh and four-time Grammy nominated Iranian virtuoso Kayhan Kalhor, HBO’s The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, premieres on March 6 at 8:00 on HBO. Sadly, both featured musicians, permanent residents of the United State, are performing abroad right now and affected by the new executive order from the White House, making their return to the United State uncertain. This troubling turn of events is even more acute when you consider that with The Music of Strangers and the Silk Road Ensemble, legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma hopes to bridge geographic and cultural boundaries using the universal power of music.
- Today, Showtime Documentary Films announced a compelling new documentary titled American Jihad (wt), which explores home-grown Jihadism, how young men are radicalized to commit violent acts of terrorism and what can be done to prevent it. Through intimate personal stories, we witness the havoc it creates in the lives of their families and the destruction of their communities. American Jihad will premiere on Showtime on March 11 at 9:00 on-air, online and On Demand, and will serve as the closing night film at the Big Sky Documentary Film Festival in late February.
- TBS's late-night hit Full Frontal with Samantha Bee is pleased to announce its first annual "Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner," which will take place on Saturday, April 29, at The Willard Hotel in Washington, D.C. (the Old Post Office being regrettably unavailable due to a Bahraini Press Freedom Consortium). Samantha Bee, noted purveyor of FAKE NEWS™, will host the gala affair, welcoming journalists and non-irritating celebrities from around the world. We suspect some members of the press may find themselves unexpectedly free that night, and we want to feed them and give them hugs.-
- In response to President Trump's disturbing statement this morning that he would work to repeal the Johnson Amendment, the provision in the US tax code that prevents charitable organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates, the Patriotic Millionaires’ Chair released the following official statement:
“President Trump's vow to 'totally destroy' the Johnson Amendment would further damage the foundations of our already fragile democracy. The Johnson Amendment keeps charities and churches nonpartisan, and its repeal would allow dark money and secret donors to manipulate charities for partisan political purposes, tax free. Citizens United - allowing the wealthy to spend whatever they want on politics - is no longer enough for Republicans. Now they want unlimited funds for politics to be tax deductible, making American taxpayers subsidize the politics of the rich while they drag charities and churches down into the political fray,” said Patriotic Millionaires’ Chair Morris Pearl, former Managing Director BlackRock, Inc.
- Leaked recordings of last weekend’s Republican retreat in Philadelphia confirmed what we’ve known all along: the Trump team and Congressional Republicans simply don’t have a plan for replacing the Affordable Care Act (ACA), even as they rush to dismantle it. After yesterday’s bold delay by Senate Democrats, today the Senate Finance Committee Republicans suspended committee rules and unilaterally advanced Representative Tom Price’s candidacy for Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to a full Senate vote. “If Representative Price and GOP leadership in Congress have their way and repeal the ACA they will leave most of my employees and myself without coverage,” said Sri Kumarasingam, the owner of Pastorante Restaurant in Harrisburg, PA and a member of the Main Street Alliance. "Representative Price’s shortsighted plans to repeal the ACA could cause my employees to leave for a larger competitor that can provide insurance--leaving the future of my business in the balance.”