Monday, November 22, 2010

Feed Your iPod vol. LII: By Your Side


While watching Scott Pilgrim vs. the World this weekend (which comes highly recommended) there was a song that caught my ear when to characters were about to get very comfortable in one’s bedroom that distracted me because it took me a while to place the song (which is why I wait to watch movies when they come out on Blu-Ray, because I have yet to find a theater that will let me pause or rewind to re-watch something I may have missed). What threw me off was it was a cover and eventually realized it was an alt-rock take on By Your Side originally done by Sade.

When most people think Sade they think of her big eighties ballads, but for me, By Your Side from 2000 was her best outing which got plenty of plays when I was getting very comfortable in one’s bedroom. I am not sure the Beachwood Sparks, the version in the movie, will get the same consideration, but it is an interesting, if not trippy, take on the RnB classic.

A quick review of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: I had high hopes for this film and it totally lived up to it with plenty of Nintendo-era references mixed with comic book graphic and an adorable Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Sky High) as the object of Michael Cera’s (Superbad) affection. But it was the bit players like Cera’s teenage girlfriend Knives Chau and the hilarity of how they get around Aubrey Plaza’s (Mystery Team) dirty mouth that make the movie great. Now I need to download the 8-bit Double Dragon style game adaptation off the Playstation Network. The game better do something cool when I press up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, triangle, O.


By Your Side – Sade By Your Side - Lovers Rock




By Your Side – Beachwood Sparks By Your Side - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Deluxe Version]



No comments:

Post a Comment