Tuesday, December 02, 2008

You Sold Your Soul like a Roman Vagabond


Day & Age - The Killers

Life must be fun inside the mind of Brandon Flowers. Usually when a band’s latest album gets panned by critics and fans alike, a band would like to go back to the drawing board and try something different or go back that got them praise in the first place. Instead of scrapping the whole Sam’s Town concept, Flowers decided continue with that concept on Day & Age and decided to take it a step further by saying the new album is Sam’s Town but in space. I wish that is what could explain Flowers adding feathers to his Spaghetti Western attire, but sadly I don’t get it.

Also Brandon Flowers’ mind is also the only where the phrase, “Are we human or are we dancer” is an obvious Hunter S. Thomson reference. Thanks to the song that lyrics belongs to, Human as well as the other song they debuted prior to the release of Day & Age, expectations were low that The Killers could break from the sophomore slump of Sam’s Town.

But something happened on the way to space where everything else on Day & Age clicked, something the band had trouble doing in their earlier ambitions from the horns of Losing Touch, the chanting in This Is Your Life, the steel drums of I Can’t Stay, and the epic A Dustland Fairytale that sweeps from a piano opening to a soaring orchestration all in under four minutes that gets closer to the Springsteen homage that they never quite reached on Sam’s Town. They even talk about girls in their summer clothes, “Saw Cinderella in a party dress / But she was looking for a nightgown.”

The band even gets back to their New Wave roots on Joy Ride. Then there is the ominous seven minute Goodnight, Travel Well that sounds like it was born off of Tranilize but pumped with steroids. The last two albums that formed in the mind of Brandon Flowers may have been hit or miss, but the guy is definitely giving us something to talk about. Now if he would just bottle up whatever he has been drinking to get there.

Song to Download - Losing Touch

Day & Age gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.




10 comments:

  1. You're nuts and have no taste at all. This album is excellent. Also, try proof reading your material before you post.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Cathy. I do understand the proof reading point as I tend to be too lazy and hope that spell ckeck catches all my mistakes, but we will have to agree to disagree on the taste thing as I think I have impeckable taste.

    But back to the proof-reading, I am currently looking for an editor, you are more than welcome to send your resume to the email address at the top right of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what is the meaning of 'Roman Vagabond'... that one has me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, being in the mind of Brandon Flowers must be a fun place. He may be the only person that knows what exactly a Roman Vagabond is and why they sell their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Abbsoautely loved the killer's even before Day & age, I think that the thing that makes me most attracted to there music is that you can interpret there lyrics however you care. You can relate to them easier that way, which make's them really appealing. There an amazing group, and I think your a little bit conceited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot conceited...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Abbsoautely loved the killer's even before Day & age too, and then they released Sam's Town and not so much. Plus I am not entirely how you got that I am conceited from an album review. Realy, I am much to self depreicating in real life to be conceited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so is a roman vagabond not a real thing then because it has been puzzling m for weeks.

    hatie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the Roman Empire had its share of vagabonds so there were real people at the time.

    ReplyDelete