Thursday, December 04, 2008

We on Award Tour: 2009 Grammy Nominations


The Grammy Nomination special, the first time in prime time, was just a silly exhibition. With that said if they do it next year, I’m totally watching. Especially if the Foo Fighters sing more Carly Simon songs and announce country songs. I did like that they had singers perform songs in the Hall of Fame instead of just trotting out their latest hits. And as an added bonus we wintness John Mayer’s attempt at the worst goatee ever, even worse than my attempt when I was seventeen. Here were the nominations announced last night:


Best New Artists
Adele
Duffy
Jonas Brothers
Lady Antebellum
Jazmine Sullivan

Wow, for the first time since I can remember there is no token rock groups, instead we get Duffy and Adele who are for all intents and purposes are the same person. I would pick either of them but they could split the vote (and Amy Winehouse won last year) which could open the door for someone else.


Album of the Year
Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay
Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne
Year of the Gentleman - Ne-Yo
In Rainbows - Radiohead

In the biggest shocker of the night, Ne-Yo gets a nomination over Grammy darling Alicia Keys whose As I Am landed at the top of my Best Albums of 2007. Not that any of this matters because they might as well hand the gramophone to Plant and Krause right now. Hey, it will be a step up from Herbie Hancock singing Joni Mitchell.


Best Collaboration with Vocals
Lessons Learned - Alice Keys and John Mayer
4 Minutes - Madonna and Justin Timberlake
Rich Woman - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
If I Never See Your Face Again - Rihanna and Maroon 5
No Air - Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown

Plain and simply, Plant and Krauss will be favored in every catergory they are nominated in. But all these songs were really sub-par to me although I really can’t thing of anything better off the top of my head.


Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group
Royal Flush - Big Boi featuring Raekwon and Andre 3000
Swagga Like Us - Jay-Z featuring T.I. and Kanye West
Mr. Carter - Lil Wayne featuring Jay-Z
Wish You Would - Ludacris featuring T.I.
Put On - Young Geezy featuring Kanye West

Really all that needs to be said about this is that rap were royals, there would be a lot of inbred prince and princesses.


Record of the Year
Chasing Pavements - Adele
Viva la Vida - Coldplay
Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
Paper Planes - M.I.A.
Please Read the Letter - Robert Plant and Allison Krause

If there were any justice M.I.A. would take this home, but sadly the combination Plant and Krause are the front runner. The biggest omission has to be Duffy’s Mercy which is far catchier than Chasing Pavement. It is also odd that Lewis is here instead of Duffy yet not in Best New Artist.


Surprising they omitted Song of the Year from the broadcast, here are those nominations
American Boy - William Adams, Keith Harris, Josh Lopez, Caleb Speir, John Stephens, Estelle Swaray & Kanye West, songwriters (Estelle Featuring Kanye West)
Chasing Pavements - Adele Adkins & Eg White, songwriters (Adele)
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz, songwriter (Jason Mraz)
Love Song - Sara Bareilles, songwriter (Sara Bareilles)
Viva La Vida - Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion & Chris Martin, songwriters (Coldplay)

Now here’s the catergory for me because I could vote for any of these, well maybe not the Estelle song. Not sure why that is nominated for a song writing award.


It is late and I am tired so I really can’t go threw all 100+ awards, okay I’m not going to bed because right after the Grammy special there was Adriana Lima taking off her clothes. But anyways. Head over to Grammy.com for the complete rundown.

No comments:

Post a Comment