Wednesday, November 09, 2011

I Never Changed My Number, Still Got the Same Address


'Til the Morning - Keith Sweat

While talking about Last Man Standing with a friend of mine recently, he told me he was not watching the show because the Tim Allen sitcom is stuck in the nineties. I retorted by saying the reason why I was watching Last Man Standing was because it was stuck in the nineties. I bring this story up because the new Keith Sweat album 'Til the Morning could have been recorded fifteen years ago, hermetically sealed, put in a time capsule, dug up a month ago, and released in tact yesterday. And though my buddy may scoff at that, for me it is highest of high compliments.

Just how stuck in the nineties is ‘Til the Morning? Not only does he regroup with LSG (his RnB supergroup with Gerald Levert and Johnny Gill) on the track Knew it All Along, but he even recruits Coko from SWV (no, she was not the one that participated on Survivor), who very well could have been hermetically sealed herself way back in 1998 because no one has heard from her since, for My Valentine. He even reprises basically the entire chorus from his 1996 hit Nobody for High as the Sun, but this time sans Athena Cage.

Not surprisingly the worst song on the album is the one track where Sweat tries to update his sound for To the Middle where he trades auto-tuned verses with T-Pain. And if robotic singer was not bad enough the song asks “how many licks ‘til I get to the middle.” Eww. Seriously, Tootsie Pops should be looking into a lawsuit right about now. The rest of the album is pure Keith Sweat: he is going to wine and dine you (One on One), take you wherever you want to go (Getaway), of course he is going to give it to you (Make You Say Ooh) all night long, (‘Til the Morning) and even put a ring on it (Ring Size) because he likes it.

Song to Download – Knew It All Along

‘Til the Morning gets a Terror Alert Level: High [ORANGE] on my Terror Alert Scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment