Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I Like This Show, it’s Tawdry or Rob Thomas Is a Whore


Have to make this quick and in list form because I spent most of the day performing hard manual labor and have to devote three hours tonight to the Lost finale. If you missed the finale two episodes of Veronica Mars, Weevils Wobble But They Don’t Go Down and/or The Bitch Is Back, head over to cwtv.com to scream them or you can download them via iTunes or Amazon Unbox.

I’ll be back with more on the show later when I get a chance to re-watch them. I was taken a little out of them in the first viewing because it took me a while to get situated in a state of mind where I could enjoy it without being sad about it being the last episodes I would see and the last couple minutes getting taken out of the episode because I realized that I wasn’t going to have the show resolved to my satisfaction.

- Like the episode title said, the bitch was back and I couldn’t be happier (and more depressed as the same time but for different reasons). The second episode was very season one with Ronnie being disgraced in a sexual way along with the return of Jake Kane and Clarence Weidman. Plus the first part had a very A Trip to the Dentist feel to it while the second part was very Clash of the Tritons.

- Speaking of Jake Kane, despite seeing Kyle Secor’s name in the title sequence, I was still jaw on the floor, much like Vee, when she saw the picture of Lily and I didn’t put two and two together until he actually showed up on screen. But it is reasons like this that I try to avoid reading the guest star list and really wish television shows would move them to the end credits because it can really ruin surprises within the show.

- I wonder if it would have been a coincidence that Jake Kane and Dick Sr. both came back to Neptune around the same time, sadly we may never know.

- Glad we got a couple last Dick/Ronnie scenes; the best is when she confronted him about sharing the sex tape (also loved how he sheepishly showed Logan). It was great that Ronnie didn’t even bother to get made at Dick for forwarding the movie to everyone in his address book.

- The beach scene was possibly the best one all season and Dick’s apology to Mac may have been the oddest scenes (in a good way) since the space elevator.

- Keith should have had Vee take his place in the debate because she was able to win it without saying a word. I was waiting for one of them to bring up their involvement in the Duncan export plan behind closed doors only to realize that it would have just implicated them too.

- But these episodes were far from perfect, as soon as the stalker came on screen, it was pretty safe to assume that it was him who planted the camera.

- Was a little disappointed that in the last two episodes Parker just got one scene. Yeah she turned out to be a throwaway character who didn’t get much screen time in the first arc even though she was the catalyst but she, as well as Julie Gonzalo, deserved better. Along those lines, Deputy Leo shows up just once in the finale just to fetch evidence. Something must have ended up on the cutting room floor because certainly that was more of a Sachs type role.

- Was this the first ever sex tape not to feature sex? That seemed like too much of a cop out to appease those annoying people who are obsessed with Logan and Vee being together. And what dude, with his naked girlfriend in front of him, not be able to seal the deal?

Okay, enough nitpicking because the last two episodes rank at the top of this season along with Mars Bars. I really loved where the show looked like it was going with Ronnie taking on the castle, and certainly Logan didn’t make friends with them either. Again, they would be back at season one with Ronnie being an outcast with everyone thinking she was morally loose. And as I said earlier, I doubt Dick Sr. and Jake coming back at the same time may not have been a coincidence and that could have been another clue to what could have been. Unfortunately we won’t be seeing that on television and I highly doubt a movie with only an outside chance of a book. But I really hope the FBI trailer makes the light of day whether it is on the DVD or “leaked” to YouTube.

Oh, and one more thing, I am glad the show got in one Matchbox Twenty reference before closing up shop. The very first question I ever asked Rob Thomas when I met him was how much was he sick of Matchbox Twenty jokes. Surprisingly he said no one makes them (I guess it is good to be the boss). Personally if I had his number, whenever I found myself drunk and awake at 3 A.M. I would call him up to ask him if he was lonely. Oh well, for more on this conversation with Rob, check out No, Not That Rob Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment