Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Best of R.E.M.


For long time readers to the 9th Green know I love making mix tapes. A subset to this is my Best Of series. I routinely make my own because inevitably they leave off some of my favorite songs on Greatest Hits packages (the worst offender being I’m on Fire being left off of Bruce Springsteen’s). A couple years back I made one for recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee R.E.M. and here is the track list to the CD. This CD comes in at 76:56.


1. Fall on Me - Life’s Rich Pageant (1986)
2. The One I Love - Document (1987)
3. It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - Document (1987)
4. Stand - Green (1988)
5. Pop Song 89 - Green (1988)
6. Orange Crush - Green (1988)
7. Losing My Religion - Out of Time (1991)
8. Radio Song (with KRS-One) - Out of Time (1991)
9. Man on the Moon - Automatic for the People (1992)
10. Drive - Automatic for the People (1992)
11. Find the River - Automatic for the People (1992)
12. Everybody Hurts - Automatic for the People (1992)
13. Nightswimming - Automatic for the People (1992)
14. Strange Currencies - Monster (1994)
15. You - Monster (1994)
16. What’s the Frequency, Kenneth? - Monster (1994)
17. At My Most Beautiful - Up (1998)
18. Bad Day - In Time: The Best of R.E.M. (2003)
19. The Outsiders (with Q-Tip) - Around the Sun (2004)


If one of your favorite songs of the band is missing feel free to comment on what you would add and or subtract. But be warned, if you suggest Shiny Happy People, you run the risk of being publicly mocked.

3 comments:

  1. Good mix. I always liked Country Feedback and Me and Honey from Out of Time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say that it is overall a pretty good list, however, I would have perhaps added So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry) from 1984's The Reckoning as well as the Great Beyond from the Man on the Moon Soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has those albums that they know they should have but have never got around to buy it, Out of Time is right at the top of my list so I really haven't a chance to listen to those song while So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry) was one of the last songs left off of this set and if I ever got around to making a second volumn, it would definately be on it.

    ReplyDelete