Saturday, September 09, 2006

Don't Download These Videos


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void in art form. So here they are courtesy of . I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Don’t Download This Song - “Weird Al” Yankovic



Ladies and gentleman, it’s the return of . Now, unfortunately the video for the song isn’t a direct parody, but I’m sure everyone out there should get a We Are the World vibe. I finally got a look at the track list and you can expect parodies of Chamillionaire’s Ridin’ (who apparently liked White and Nerdy so much he put it on his page), Green Day’s American Idiot (Canadian Idiot), Usher’s Confessions part II (Confessions part III), Taylor Hick’s Do I Make You Proad (Do I Creep You Out, in a word, yes, that’s Hicks not Weird Al), and R. Kelly’s Trapped in the Closet (Trapped in the Drive-Thru at ten plus minutes this should be great, hopefully Al will come out with more Chapters and a DVD like Kelly did). And of course there is the prerequisite polka featuring songs by , and many more. Oh, and even though the song says not to, check out Dontdownloadthissong.com to do just that.


Maneater - Nelly Furtado



Whoever decided to released Maneater as a single should be fired as it was easily the worst song off of ’s latest album. But on the bright side the song did produced this extremely cheesy video with its pseudo-vampire theme. The best part is the inexplicable beginning with the dog as if they needed to set up the absurdity that followed because whenever I lose my dog I end up doing a dance off with the undead before I end up finding her.


I Call it Love - Lionel Richie



We all know for as great Lionel Richie is as a singer, he’s as equally as bad a parent. And here those too aspects of his life collide with Nicole showing up in papa’s video. Feel free to insert your own “Nicole’s too skinny” joke here. Speaking of which, ’s first foray into music, Dandelion leaked to the net this week and, well, it’s better than anything by former BFF . But that’s not saying much, click on her name to give it a listen (warning bad 7th grade poetry ahead). As for daddy dearest, check out for a review of his new album next week.


Play with Fire - Hilary Duff



Speaking of chicks with no redeemable talent to go with their dramatic weight loss, has a new video out. It’s nice to see she is as bad at dancing as she is at acting, singing, and choosing boyfriends. But to be honest, the song is actually kind of catchy. For those keeping track at home, that’s two songs the Duffster has conned me into liking (the Theme to being the other). It may be time for an intervention.


Ring the Alarm - Beyonce



I really don’t want to talk too much about the song itself as I will cover that in my album review of ’s B-Day coming up in the next couple days. But I wonder if the video, especially when she’s being interrogated in the white dress is homage to , but without the best part. Then there is the hallway scene which is a blatant rip-off of No Doubt’s It’s My Life.


There are a couple of cool contests on the web that I’d like to point out. First I slipped this into my post a couple hours after I originally posted it, so I thought I give it another plug. The newest addition to my Blogs I Read list, Culture Bully, is giving away a free CD for every day in September. So head over to his site to see what three albums you have to choose from today and the complete rules.

Then there is A Yoga Coffee Outlook who is giving away a free iPod Nano. Yes a free iPod, and no you don’t have to buy something else to get it like all the other “get a free iPod” advertisings on their site. There is a bunch of different and easy ways to enter so check out her site to see how.

5 comments:

  1. Didn't the Backstreet Boys do a video with the exact same premise?

    While her voice may sound just as femine, I do admit she is much more pleasing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, the Backstreek Boys did a video with a premise? Although I'm not sure which video you're talking about but I'll assume you're talking about Furtado because the other two woman aren't all that pleasing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Weird Al video, thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be cool if your videos worked, but I guess thats what you get for violating copyright rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hence the title Mr. Anonymous dude, chick, person.

    ReplyDelete