Thursday, August 24, 2006

We on Award Tour: 2006 VMA Predictions


We are a week away from the 2006 MTV Music Awards and I have to say that I’m actually excited. Yeah the last two installments suck and many of the performers are frontrunners for my “Worst of 2006” list, but I still have a sense of optimism. First is that the show was routinely panned by everyone the last two years while exiled in Miami, you know something big will go down as the show goes back home to New York City, hopefully that surprise isn’t as big of a let down as the comeback three years ago. Second is that the first time since the last time , MTV has tapped a host that will actually be entertaining in Jack Black who did a great job co-hosting the Movie Awards a couple years back and hopefully this year’s monologue is heavy.

When I first reported the nominees to the VMA’s oddly enough the only category you couldn’t vote on was the Viewer’s Choice Award, but that is now up including a cool game where you can get extra points for the video of your choosing, so hear over to for that. I also wonder in that post what happened to the MTV2 Award. Apparently that are indeed doing that again and you can go over to to cast your vote, but a look at the nominees, you may just want to abstain. Personally, I voted for the award much like I’ve voted for president lately going with the one that sucked the least (for those keeping track at home, that would be Taking Back Sunday) but here are the nominees:

Stay Fly - Three 6 Mafia
The Kill - 30 Seconds to Mars
Fireman - Lil’ Wayne
MakeDamnSure - Taking Back Sunday
It's Goin' Down - Yung Joc


Also since my original post, the performers and presenters list have grown. Set to hand out the Moonmen are and (hopefully together so they can just get that out of the way), Jennifer Lopez (crap, she’s still around), and (aren’t these the same person, I can’t tell them apart), , , , (well unless he’s in jail at the time), Lil Jon, Amy Lee of , Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars (actually I think people would more recognize the name is they said “of My So Called Life” instead), the cast of Jackass: Number Two (crap, their still around, who would have though out of all of them, Don Vito would be the only one currently in jail) and Shaun White. Joining this group is these artist jjust announced today including , , Diddy, , and (again hopefully together, seeing them catfight may be the only why I can stomach them), , and Axl Rose (seriously?). Then there are performers who I’ll predict what they will be performing (I am under the impression that are the house band as that is what they were originally booked as, but recently they have been listed under performers so who knows):


: This should be interesting because, as my sources tell me, she already debut her new single on the BET Awards so I’m betting she shows off her new all-female band with a medley of songs of her yet to be released album while everyone is at home is bored because they don’t recognize the song. It may be saved as the performance screams surprise guest, and I’m not talking Jay-Z.

: Speaking of yet to be released album, it’s a lock that JT will lip-syncing the cheesily named SexyBack with Big Head Timbaland doing his part. Much like when he debut the uer-horrible Like I Love You a couple years back no guest appearance can save this stinkfest, even a dude on dude kiss from Lance Bass.

: Since no other man was performed at the Movie Awards, the safe bet is that she will perform the new single Candyman next week. With the 50’s feel (in fact it blatantly steals from a song from that era I’m too lazy to look up) I wouldn’t be surprised if the turn the screen to black and white throughout the performance.

: Since I’m not a fourteen year old white girl, I could care less but most likely will be the song that got all the nominations.

: Since I’m not a fourteen year old white girl, I could care less but will most likely be the song where he steals a line from (didn’t he make his career stealing a line from Jay-Z?).

: With there album not out yet, the new single, When You Were Young will get the nod. With Brandon Flowers talking about all the influences on the new album, will The Boss pull another Wallflowers?

: Yet another performer whose album has yet to be released, but since the Neptunes produced his new song, it will be that.

: Odd choice here as they really don’t have the stature of the other bands something big maybe brewing here with a guest coming onstage with them. I believe the guitarist has tattoos all of his body of band logos from various inspirations and they did do the VH1 Rock Honors performing Def Leppard’s Photograph. I don’t understand how lead nominees aren’t on the performers list, maybe they will jump onstage here and recreate their Give it Away performance from the early nineties.

: Not only will they be battling for Video of the Year crown, Shakira will most likely try to have more weird performers than P!@TD (is that the right shorthand for the band, and by asking, I just defeated the purpose of the shorthand, but anyway) as she tries to recreate the Carnival theme of Hips Don’t Lie.

: Just announce the internet phenomenon will be taking the VMA stage. Just like the performance from last year, this performance will disturbing and be thoroughly entertainment at the same time. This maybe the only band that can get away with lip-syncing as long as they are doing some silly dancing, but I have a feeling they will be playing while others will be performing their treadmill opera but times ten.

You can check out the whole list of nominees from my original post - We on Award Tour: 2006 MTV Video Music Awards Nominations and you can also check out my list of best VMA performances I did last year which would most likely be unchanged - Best of the VMA Performances. And you can watch the VMA’s August 29 at 8:00, with the pre-show at 6:30.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll actually watch the VMAs this year. I think you've got me curious after this post.

    Although the RHCP won't be performing, I just love their VMA commercial. Anthony and Flea on surfboards, singing sea chantys! Does it get better than that?

    If they WERE performing, I think it would be cool if they had all the people from their latest video up there with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've totally miss the RHCP ad. Granted since the only show I watch on MTV is RW/RR Fresh Meat I guess I'll have to look out for it. The one with the All-American Rejects was moderately funny though.

    And I want to apoligize ahead of time if you do watch the awards because there is still a large part of me that thinks the show will suck like the last too, but hopefully Jacj Black can liven things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I am SO out of the loop - I didn't even know any of the viewers choice nominees, and I didn't know at least 1/4 of the performers :( I guess its time to shut off the 80's station I listen to!

    Jeez, I'm only 32, I feel like I'm 60, lol

    ReplyDelete