Wednesday, July 20, 2005

These Are Things I Feel


Self Help Serenade - Marjorie Fair

Riding the wave of the a year too late is Marjorie Fair. With its melodic beats and soothing voices, any song off their first album, , would have fit well in the Zach Braff film. The band also has a strong retro-pop vibe and at times on the album conjures up thoughts of breezy 70’s bands like and .

An album like this is very hard to review because it is so mellow, you just space out and it’s over before you know it. The group itself finds it hard to classify as lead singer, Evan Slamka tried to explain, “If I'm bored or doing some psycho-therapy on myself, I'll maybe look through the lens of the record and try to figure out what it's about, what it means.” I think I even zoned out when I first read that.

And like artist on the Garden State Soundtrack, a lot of the lyrics are introspective. On the stand out track, Empty Room, Slamka sings, “I don’t want to die young. But if I do, fill my empty room with the sun.” Even gloomier is Waves where he mourns, “The person I thought I was, is something that I don’t thing is coming true.” So if obsess over , Self Help Serenade is right up your alley.

Song to Download – Empty Room


Self Help Serenade gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment