Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Five Most (and Least) Anticipated Shows of 2017-18



It seems like every year has a theme and two years ago it was superheroes with almost each network debuting a new one. Last season saw just one which did not even have anyone with superpowers. This season they are back with three new superhero shows (and that does not include already announced Krypton coming to Syfy, Hulu’s The Runaways and Locke and Key, Freeform’s Cloak and Dagger and New Warriors, and Teen Titans coming to the upcoming DC Comics streaming site). The other big theme is military shows. NBC, CBS, and even The CW are launching one and they all reminded me of History’s Six. Fine, I will watch the Superhero show, but I may have to start drawing the line, but all those military shows look bland. Most everything this year looks meh, and it is getting harder to even list five shows that pique my interest. But here is The Five Most Anticipated Shows of 2017-18, or as closest I can get.

1. Rise (Midseason, NBC): Last year NBC did not release any trailers for their midseason shows and that continues this year which is disappointing because the most buzzed about show of the season is being held out for after the Olympics. You would think the musical themed show would fit very well after The Voice but NBC is continuing their streak of law enforcement shows that have had varying degrees of success, The Blacklist is still chugging but is in its third timeslot in five seasons, Blindspot has been moved to the Friday death spot, its third in three season, and the Katherine Heigl show whose name I do not even care enough to look up was one and done. Lack of trailer aside, all I need to know about this show is that it comes from Jason Katims whose last high school show was called Friday Night Light.

2. The Mayor (Tuesdays at 9:30 on ABC): This was the new sitcom I actually laughed at.


3. Good Girls (Midseason): Here is a show that really could have benefited from a trailer. Three suburban moms turn to robbing banks for extra cash. If this is funny, be it intentional or unintentional, I will be more likely to watch it.

4. The Gifted (Mondays at 9:00 on Fox): I hit superhero fatigue a couple seasons ago, yet I still watch them (I may draw the line at the Teen Titans show that will be on an upcoming DC streaming site… okay, maybe I will watch if there is a free trial). But The Gifted does have Angel’s Amy Acker and my favorite Bunhead… um, not that I have a favorite Bunhead.



5. Um, Young Sheldon I guess, this slate of shows suck.

As the great philosopher Butt-Head once pondered, how would we know if something was cool if there weren't things that sucked, here are the five shows you could not pay me to watch next fall (click on their names to watch the trailers where available).

1. Law and Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders (Thursdays at 10:00 on NBC): Really, they are really just going to blatantly rip off American Crime Story (which I had no interest in that) and slap the Law and Order name on it?

2. The Orville (Thursdays at 9:00 on Fox): Nothing says “hard pass” more than “from Seth McFarlane” especially something that is live action and an hour long. I think I will pick this in the which show gets the ax first poll.

3. Dynasty (Wednesday at 9:00 on The CW): The CW has not aired any sitcoms in about a decade by they never fail to make me laugh every year at their upfronts. Seriously, a Dynasty reboot? And their other shows do not look much better, a fifth comic book based show, a show with the fourth best Pretty Little Liar (fifth if you count Mona), and… a military show?

4. All the crappy reality show: A writers strike loomed over much of the spring so it looked like ABC and NBC were prepared and have a bunch of shows coming midseason I have no interest in including Genius Juniors, The Awesome Show, Ellen’s Game of Games, The Bachelor Winter Games, and Dancing with the Stars Junior.

5. 9JKL (Mondays at 8:30 on CBS): There are a bunch of unfunny comedies on tap for the fall, but this one looks like the worst.

And here is the list of the show I will be watching this fall.

Mondays
8:00 – Supergirl ((The CW)
8:00 – Lucifer (Fox)
8:00 – The Big Theory (CBS)
9:00 – The Gifted (Fox)

Tuesdays
8:00 – The Middle (ABC)
9:00 – Blackish (ABC)
9:00 – Superstore (NBC)
9:30 – The Good Place (NBC)

Wednesdays
8:00 – Survivor (CBS)
8:00 – The Blacklist (NBC)
8:00 – The Goldbergs (ABC)
9:30 – Modern Family (ABC)

Thursdays
8:00 - Gotham (Fox)
8:30 – Young Sheldon (CBS)

Fridays
8:00 - Blindspot (NBC)
8:00 – One Upon a Time (ABC)
9:00 – Inhumans (ABC)

Sundays
Um, what happened to Sunday? I guess there will be plenty to watch on cable on Sunday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment