Monday, November 18, 2013

I Want My Music Television: 11/18/13




There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.

Hard Out Here – Lily Allen


Oh Lily Allen, it has been too long. At least she came back hard ripping on the duo who were responsible for the most embarrassing Video Music Award performance ever Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke. Sure the lyrics veer very close to that other song of 2013 Royals, Lily is much more cheechy in her delivery than Lorde. Here is hoping a full album will soon follow. The musical landscape really needs Lilly Allen right now.


Wake Me Up (Acoustic) - Aloe Blacc


I did not mind the Avicii version of Wake Me Up (but I was glad when Aloe Blacc released an acoustic version) but I hated the music video with a fiery passion as it co-opted the theme of No Rain and make the bee girl an impossibly hot chick and her annoyingly cute sister (brought to you by some product I refuse to mention because I am not getting any of that money), Blacc version is much more touching dealing with the real life implications of our current immigration policies.


What Now – Rihanna


If it is fall it is time for a new Rihanna album, she has released one in November each of the past four years. Except it is already fall and there is no release date. And she is certainly not the type of artist to drop an album within a month of announcing it like Jay-Z or Radiohead, she needs that promotional machine going for two to three months first. Instead she has just released the fifth single off her last album, and, um, it sounds like a fifth single off an album by a singer who usually only has two to three good songs per album. The video recalls her creepier efforts like Disturbia complete with The Last Exorcism contortion bending over backwards pose. But I do wonder with a lackluster fifth single being released in the fall instead of a new single off a new album, if we are witnessing the end of the Rihanna era as biggest pop star in the land.


Country Girl - Carolina Chocolate Drops


Over the weekend I watched a screener for PSB’s Nashville 2.0 premiering Friday about the rise of Americana music from Emmylou Harris to Mumford & Sons. I will have a full review later this week. But one new artist that caught my eye was Carolina Chocolate Drops which mixes Americana with soul music. Here is a music video for their first single, but if you have the time I highly recommend looking up their countrified version of Hit 'Em Up Style which was also featured in the special.

No comments:

Post a Comment