Sunday, July 15, 2012
A couple weeks ago VH1 released their latest list of The 40 Greatest RnB Songs of the 90’s and like all of their lists, some of the inclusions (Bone Thugs-n-Harmony are RnB?) and omissions (were Michael Jackson and Prince too big for the RnB label by the 90’s) were head scratching even if this list was as egregious as their list of The 40 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90’s which was so bad it inspired me to make my only list of The 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90’s. I probably will not come up with my own RnB songs of the 90’s list, but for this month’s Lyrics Quiz I did pick twenty-five songs that probably should have been on VH1’s list. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section or e-mail me. If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Take my money, my house and my cars. For one hit of you, you can have it all, baby. (Feenin' - Jodeci; guessed by Doug)
2. How blue can I get, you can ask my own heart. Well like a jigsaw puzzle, it’s been torn all apart. (Nobody Knows - Tony Rich Project; guessed by Doug)
3. Now you can have me when you want me. You simply ask me to be there.
4. The very first time that I saw your brown eyes. Your lips said, “Hello” and I said, Hi.” I knew right then you were the one. (If I Ever Fall In Love - Shai; guessed by Doug)
5. Other guys have tried before to replace you as my lover. Never did I have a doubt, boy iy’s you I can’t do without. (Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson; guessed by Doug)
6. In our darkest hour, in my deepest despair, will you still care?
7. Girl if I told you I love you, that doesn’t mean I don’t care. And when I tell you I need you, don’t think that I’ll never be there. (Cupid - 112; guessed by Doug)
8. Tell me who I have to be to get some reciprocity. See no one love you more than me and no one ever will. (Ex-Factor - Lauryn Hill; guessed by Doug)
9. Would you be a happy boy or a girl. If I could I would give you the world. But all I can do is just offer you my love. (Diamonds and Pearls - Prince and the New Power Generation; guessed by Doug)
10. Prejudice: wrote a song about. Like to hear it? Here it go. (Free Your Mind - En Vogue; guessed by Doug)
11. You remain my power, my pleasure, my pain. To me you’re a grown addition I can’t deny. (Kiss from a Rose - Seal; guessed by Doug)
12. I thought we’d get to see forever. But forever has gone away. (It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday - Boyz II Men; guessed by Doug)
13. Still have your picture in a frame. Hear your footsteps down the hall. I swear I hear your voice, driving me insane. (Anytime - Brian McKnight; guessed by Doug)
14. Is it my turn to wish you were lying here? I didn’t dream you and I’m sleeping.
15. You are the girl that I never had and I want to get to know you better. (Iesha - Another Bad Creation; guessed by Doug)
16. Since the first day I ever laid my eye on your face I knew you would be mine. And since the time you gave me your tiny hand I knew I wanted to be your man.
17. I wanna tease you, I wanna please you. I wanna show you baby, that I need you. I want your body ‘till the very last drop. (Nobody - Keith Sweat; guessed by Doug)
18. Put your faith in me and I’ll do anything. I will cross the ocean for you. I will go and bring you the moon. (For You I Will - Monica; guessed by Doug)
19. If you should feel that I don’t really care and that you’re starting to lose ground. Just let me reassure you that you can count on me and that I’ll always be around.
20. Tell me princess now did you last let your heart decide?
21. The twenty-third of loneliness and we don’t talk like we used to do. Now it feels pretty strange but I’m not buggin’. (Creep - TLC; guessed by Doug)
22. Large, if large is how you living why you living large? Are you taking what is given to you in the form of true experience ‘cause if you’re not you life will be spent. (Live and Learn - Joe Public; guessed by Doug)
23. It feels like springtime in winter. It feels like Christmas in June. It feels like Heaven has opened up its gates to me and you.
24. You want me but he needs you. Yet you’re telling me everything is cool. Trying to convince me to do as you say. Just go along and see things your way.
25. Smack it up, flip it, rub it down, oh no! (Do Me! - Bell Bive DeVoe; guessed by Doug)