Thursday, July 02, 2009

I Want My Music Television vol. LVI


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune) – Jay-Z



Here is a song that I want to link more than I do. I absolutely despise auto-tune and having one of the most prevalent rappers of the decade in Jay-Z come out against it would vindicate my hatred. But like much of his post-retirement songs, it falls a little flat when you put it up against his classics.


Goodbye - Kristinia DeBarge



Another reason why the Jay-Z doesn’t fully work is that he got beat to to ripping the Steam chorus by lightweight Kristinia DeBarge who pretty much killed any credibility the word swagger had left in this song. And to answer the question everyone is thinking, yes she is an offspring of a member of 80’s greats DeBarge (don’t tell me you don’t remember Rhythm of the Night or the theme to Short Circuit, Who’s Johnny. And don’t tell me you don’t remember Short Circuit).


Good Girls Go Bad – Cobra Starship featuring Leighton Meesters



About a week ago a buddy of mine told me to be on the lookout for a new Leighton Meesters to hit the web soon and, um, this is a bit disappointing if this is what he was talking about. Apparently no one involved in the song got Jay-Z’s memo. In the range of television personalities turned singers, Meetsters’ singing ability probably lands somewhere between Jennifer Love Hewitt and Paris Hilton. And the dude from Cobra Starship is now in the running for biggest douche of 2009.


She’s a Genius - Jet



There seems to be a lot of Teen Wolf in pop culture lately, the latest being the video by Jet, to the point I wonder how soon until we get a remake starring McLovin as The Wolf and Ellen Paige as Boof. Actually, I might watch that.

Jay-Z on iTunes


No comments:

Post a Comment