Monday, August 25, 2008

Beijing Olympics Update #4


- Since I have been asked multiple time, the Nike commercial that repeats the chorus, "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" that uses throughout the Olympics is All These Things That I've Done by the Killers.

- For all the lead up to the first ever BMX race in the Olympics, it was pretty short. And it was won by a Latvian of all people.

- In case you missed it, it should be noted that the USA Woman's Soccer gold medal was America's 1000th medal ever.

- I cannot believe the interviewed the nut job priest who disrupted the marathon in Athens for years ago. Another thing I cannot believe, on a perfect August Saturday night, I stayed indoors to watch a two hour Marathon.

- Possibly my favorite human interest story of the games is of Shannon Rowbury, a Irish Dancing turned 1500 meter runner.

- After two weeks of doing everything short of anointing Michael Phelps new dictator of the Olympics, I was surprised that they still called the decathlon the competition for the title World's Greatest Athlete. Which begs the question, why isn't the aquatic version of the decathlon?

- The best thing about the closing ceremonies is that it seems like the host counties do not care anymore. It all seems so lax and is more about the next host than the current. But leave it to the Chinese to insert some more pomp and circumstance in before the games leave their nation.

- I would say Jimmy Paige playing with Leona Lewis is a low point in Led Zeppelin history, but nothing can touch Paige okaying the Puff Daddy sampling of Kashmir.

- Jackie Chan singing? What?

- For those keeping score, eighteen months until the start of the Winter Olympics, and to those over at NBC, if you need a correspondent, I am sure I can clear my schedule. And I promise not to call any of my female co-workers a word you are not supposed to say on television.

3 comments:

  1. - Possibly my favorite human interest story of the games is of Shannon Rowbury, a Irish Dancing turned 1500 meter runner.

    - I would say Jimmy Paige playing with Leona Lewis is a low point in Led Zeppelin history, but nothing can touch Paige okaying the Puff Daddy sampling of Kashmir.

    Well said on both of those points...well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so upset that Rowbury finished so low in the finals. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least Rowbury made it to the finals, her male counterpart, the reigning Olympics champion didn't even make it to the finals. A poor showing overall for the US Track and Field team.

    ReplyDelete