Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Live Earth Redux


There were a bunch of great performances at Live Earth but there is one that I have been listening to on repeat the last couple days and that is the new song that Alicia Keys unveiled during her set, That’s the Thing about Love. Unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait until late October until we can hear a more polished studio version when her new album is scheduled to drop, until then here is the YouTube version of the performance at Live Earth:



It popped up over the weekend that there will be a best of the Live Earth album that will be put out in August which you can preorder on iTunes (if you do so you will get the John Mayer track now, also Metallica’s full set is available separately). Although there is currently no confirmed tracks (aside from Mayer’s) so here is my suggestion of the top twenty songs from the event (links go to YouTube):


1. Gimme Shelter - Keith Urban and Alicia Keys
2. Message in a Bottle - The Police, John Mayer and Kanye West
3. Sabotage - Beastie Boys
4. Big Bottom - Spinal Tap and an Army of Bassists
5. That’s the Thing about Love - Alicia Keys
6. Drummers - SOS All Stars
7. Babylon - David Gray and Damien Rice
8. All My Life - Foo Fighters
9. Waiting on the World to Change - John Mayer
10. The Horizon Has Been Defeated - Jack Johnson
11. Bleed it Out - Linkin Park
12. Mercy Mercy Me - Corrine Bailey Rae and John Legend
13. Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
14. By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
15. For the Love of Money/Living for the City, Mercy Mercy Me - Alicia Keys
16. The Blower’s Daughter - Damien Rice and David Gray
17. Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
18. Hips Don’t Lie - Shakira
19. Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
20. Jesus Walks - Kanye West


Agree, disagree, well vote or add your favorites to the Unspun widget below:




Okay, now on to what Live Earth was really about, doing your part to saving the environment. You might think to yourself living a green life is a daunting task, well I am certainly no tree hugging hippie, in fact I am extremely lazy, but I realized that I already do some of the things that they suggested thought Saturday’s festivities. Seriously, if this lazy bum can do these things to help out than certainly you can add these to your daily routine. Even if you don’t care about the environment, do these why I do them, almost all of these suggestion will save you money:

- Change to Energy Efficient Light bulbs - Yeah they cost a little more but I saw a noticeable drop in my electricity bill when I switched just three bulbs. Really you should buy any and all energy efficient products, TV’s, toilets, computers, radios, etc.

- Use Sunlight During the Day - Unless there is a storm brewing, all window drapes are open there isn’t a light on from sun up to dun down

- Change the Thermostat When You Leave - In the summer during turn the air conditioning down a couple degrees, turn heat up in the winter. In the winter, I even do this when I sleep so I can bundle up in a couple more blankets

- Boil Only the Water You Need - I was surprised when this was suggested during the telecast because I though it was a no brainier but apparently people boil more than they need. This is just laziest, and that says a lot considering I been called the laziest person some people have ever met

- Flip Off Your Power Strip - Here is one that I have started after seeing it on Live Earth as I have three big power drains with all its accessories plugged into a power strip (computer, two TV sets). I plugged a VCR into the wall because that is my clock in that room, but everything else is plugged into the strip which I flip off when the stuff isn’t in use. I’m not entirely sure how much energy/money I have saved by doing this, but long if it is something it will be worth the one second it takes to flip it on and off.

No comments:

Post a Comment