Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Best of Dave Matthews Band


Along with all the thumpin’ the Democrats laid yesterday (President Bush’s word not mine) yesterday also saw the release of the first retrospective for the Dave Matthews Band, The Best of What’s Around. The set democratically takes two songs off each of the band’s major label studio album, but much like most greatest hits packages there is plenty of my favorite songs from their catalog missing. So since I have all of the band’s studio albums (and most of their live ones too), I made my own Best Of album that clocks in at 78:40 and feel free to let me know what I left out and what you would replace in the comment section (I’m sure whatever you say I missed will show up on vol. 2 whenever I get around to posting that):

1. Recently (Edit 2) - Recently - EP (1994)
2. The Best of What's Around - Under the Table and Dreaming (1994)
3. Jimi Thing - Under the Table and Dreaming (1994)
4. Warehouse - Under the Table and Dreaming (1994)
5. Say Goodbye - Crash (1996)
6. Crash Into Me - Crash (1996)
7. The Stone - Before These Crowded Streets (1998)
8. Don't Drink the Water - Before These Crowded Streets (1998)
9. When the World Ends - Everyday (2001)
10. The Space Between - Everyday (2001)
11. You Never Know - Busted Stuff (2002)
12. Grace Is Gone - Busted Stuff (2002)
13. Bartender - Busted Stuff (2002)
14. Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back) - Stand Up (2005)


But if there were a reason to pick up The Best of What’s Around vol. 1 would be the companion second disk with over an hour’s worth of live performances chosen by the fans that includes a rousing version of Don’t Drink the Water, Louie, Louie finding its way into Warehouse. Also Robert Randolph pops up on Louisiana Bayou. And if you check out the iTunes release of the album, you will find two bonus tracks not on the CD release. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole album to get some of the live tracks from the iTunes store.


4 comments:

  1. Well, I had a big comment to add, but Blogger lost it when I signed into my new Google account. So I'll just say that DMB has so many good songs that a "greatest hits" or "best of" is kind of pointless, and that to your list I would add "Ants Marching" and "Gravedigger."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good ol' blogger, that's why I always copy whatever I write before I publish so I don't lose it.

    Ant Marching was the last one out and would definately be on vol. 2, but I didn't include Gravedigger because it'a a Dave Matthews solo song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make my own DMB albums too...It's a neat little hobby of mine, and I'm through 4 of the 6 albums. What I do is take the best live performance for each of the studio album tracks, then I have my own:

    Under the Table and Dreaming, Live
    Crash, Live,
    etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The has to be a daunting task. Trying to pick out the best performence of a song would take me forever.

    ReplyDelete