Sunday, July 09, 2006

Trust the Power in My Voice


Who I Am - Alice Peacock

In a measure of full disclosure, I have to admit that the only reason why I gave a listen to an album by is because the similarity to the name of a girl I went to high school with. When the next reunion comes around I may have to thank her because what I found on the Chicago native’s sophomore album, were extremely refreshing songs that could be put on whenever I need time to relax. As she states in the title track, “There’s nobody else quite like me in this Wonderland.”

With softer piano based songs, the inevitable comparisons to another soothing songstress, , are easily heard. But Peacock does have a slight edge to here due to what seems to be a bad breakup. She doesn’t get as angry as , but the bitterness can definitely still be heard especially on Taught Me Well where she tells a former flame, “I thank my lucky stars everyday I’m not your wife.” Ouch. There is also a since of sarcasm to the opener, Different from the Rest, a song again about a past boyfriend, this one a letter to one on his wedding day thinking back to the day, “You asked me if I could tell the truth, and I said I couldn’t, that I didn’t love you.”

But Who I Am isn’t solely songs from a bitter woman. Baby Come Back is a heart wrenching plea for another chance. On the happier side of the spectrum, Runaway Day is a whimsical romp and could be a great soundtrack to a picnic. Then there’s the romantic Finding My Way that could fit on any occasion with your special one.

Another bright spot on the album is that the musicianship is always on point. Even though it is always subtle, you can tell all the musicians came in at the top of their game. The drumming on Taught Me Well is almost a march setting it up to be a something you may want to listen to while walking after getting out a bad situation. The title track on the other hand has grandeur about it with its ebb and flow.

There is also musical diversity to the album. Even though most of the songs are piano based like the staccatos of Anyone but Me, new instruments are introduced throughout the album including and acoustic guitar, strings, and even a French Horn on the soothing Sunflower. This breaks up the monotony that are the downfall of similar albums and should give you plenty hours of relaxing time listening to Alice Peacock for years to come.

Song to Download - Who I Am

Who I Am gets a Terror Alert Level: High [ORANGE] on my Terror Alert Scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment