Monday, July 10, 2006

Lost Impressions - Chappelle’s Show


Last week during the review of the new Johnny Cash (see He Said “John Go Do My Will”) album I mentioned how it’s a touch subject releasing an album posthumously because you don’t really know if that is how the artist wanted you to hear the songs like that. Chappelle’s Show: The Lost Episodes get a little touchier because Dave Chappelle is still around and very adamant that Comedy Central not air the episodes that were to comprise of skits for the third season of his show before he shut down production an bolted for Africa.

But not to miss a way to milked their cash cow even after it dried up, the channel decided to package those skits together anyways with help from Chappelle’s former writing partner and friend Neil Brennan. Also on board are to take over hosting duties are Charlie Murphy and Donnell “I’m Rich biooootch” Rawlings. And the two were quick to explain why they would sell out their former employer, money and more camera time. I really don’t understand why they didn’t give Charlie Murphy his own show after Chappelle bolted because his True Hollywood Stories were the best skits plus there’s the whole legacy thing too. But anyways.

As for the skits, naturally they dealt with his recent enlarged bank account. The first one went long by the time he went to the IRS man. Then the payback skit was great for the first two segments but lost steam by the time he got to the dude in the wheelchair. On the other hand, the return of the whiter Chuck Taylor had me on the floor laughing, but I have a feeling those who haven’t heard the unedited version of Bring the Pain by Method Man were left scratching their heads. The clunker of the night was the is still alive sketch, a joke I beat to death about eight years ago. For the record, I think he is hanging out in Hawaii with Biggie, Elvis, and my sources tell me Ken Lay just arrived. But I digress.

For year, cable stations have repeated their shows about ten times a week, thirty for MTV. But last night showed a disturbing recent trend of showing the same episode back to back. I really never understood this, especially Rescue Me where you run the risk of turning in too soon and seeing the ending first because the show routinely runs over. Back to , if my math is correct, there are only two more “Lost” episodes and hopefully they squeeze another Charlie Murphy True Hollywood Story because from last night’s sketches, maybe Chappelle was right in wanting to keep them in the vault considering it wasn’t the funniest thing I saw on television yesterday. Instead that award goes to this video below:




No comments:

Post a Comment