Saturday, June 10, 2006

First Impressions - Hex


HexBeing an alleged television snob, I really don’t stray away from the fifteen to twenty channels I watch even though my television gets around a thousand. So it really takes a lot to get me to those channels not on my radar like Denis Leary starring in on FX. BBC America is another channel that really isn’t in my rotation and is at a bigger disadvantage because it’s on my digital tier putting it in the triple digits. Yes I am so lazy to the point where I don’t like punching three buttons on my remote. But nothing like Buffy comparisons to get me to watch a show (one of the reasons I started watching but aside from the blonde heroine, they are unwarranted) and so I found time to catch what has been dubbed the British Buffy, .

Meet your new blonde heroineAgain we have a hot blonde at the forefront of the show but for supernatural portion of the Buffy comparison are witches, demons, and ghosts. And there is even a lesbian sidekick. But Hex is missing what was great about Buffy in that it dealt with it other worldly inhabitants with a touch of camp, something that Hex is lacking. Or at least I think it is, the problem with this show is that I don’t speak British (for those unaware, despite having America in its name, the channel only airs shows from the BBC). It is this reason why I couldn’t get into the original version of because I couldn’t get many of the jokes, but then again I sometimes have the same problem with the American version.

Another difference besides the language barrier for the American Buffy is the nudity. And by nudity I mean naked dudes. C'mon, the main characters are chick, yet they all remain fully clothed. And even with a lesbian in cast, there wasn’t even girl on girl make out session. Although since the lesbian isn’t one of those you would see on one of those Girls Gone Wild videos, that might be a good thing. But anyways.

And her friends and enemiesLanguage barriers and male nudity aside, for the two hour première, Hex moved along so slowly, it made look like Veronica Mars in comparison and I jumped from the Invasion ship within a month because it was putting me to sleep. But with the lack of campiness and slow moving plots, not to mention the whole demon angle, would be a much better comparison to the show than , but I’m not entirely sure if that is a good or bad thing. Point Pleasant was a show that was all about un-reached potential; it had the makings of being a great show, but didn’t make it there before Fox pulled the plug. But with two seasons already under it’s belt, maybe Hex will eventually maximize its.

Verdict: If I remember, I may give it another couple try, but if it doesn’t pick up, I may just check out the spoilers of what happens. Hex airs Thursdays at 10:00 on BBC America.

5 comments:

  1. I've lived here for 11 years and I don't even get the jokes in the office.

    The rest of the shows you mention, i'll let you know in three years when they begin to broadcast them in the UK. Hex sounds dubious though...shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it. I only clicked on your headline over at BE because you mentioned Buffy. Dweeb alert-I so miss the Scooby gang!
    Glad I clicked, interesting site, will be back, : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, it's good to know that I'm not the only one to have The Office go over their head.

    And thanks for visiting Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem now with admitting that we don't get the office is that folks will look upon us with pity; like we need a support group. One of those twelve stepper types "Hi, my name is Lyvvie and I don't get the humour of The Office."

    At least when you say you don't get it, people don't say "That's because you're American and everyone knows Americans don't have a sense of humour."

    Do so. I think you're funny....looking. <- such a classic. Can you tell I have a seven year old?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there are plenty of Americans who look down upon us who don't quite get the humor behind the American version, so we can still sponsor each other for the support group.

    And I will just choose to overlook that last part.

    ReplyDelete