Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Feed Your iPod vol. LVII: My Hooptie


Watching VH1’s 40 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90’s, it amazes me who is considered to have only one solitary hit. I lived through the nineties; Vanilla Ice was too huge to have revisionist history change him into a one hit wonder. Play That Funky Music was just as big as Ice Ice Baby (and was also a top five hit to boot) and who can forget Ninja Rap even though most of us would like to. Last month I made an argument that EMF (see Feed Your iPod vol. LVI: Lies) should not be considered a one hit wonder and I could also make arguments for Digital Underground and House of Pain, both artists of which I bought multiple albums of. But I want to take aim at today was on top VH1’s list: Sir Mix-a-Lot. Sure Baby Got Back was absurdly big thanks in part to MTV’s ban (oddly the video got more plays on the channel after it got the pre-8:00 ban than before it), but it certainly should not be the only song of his on your iPod. I could run down the list of his classics (like Posse on Broadway, Beepers, Put 'em on the Glass, Jump on It, Buttermilk Biscuits), but if I could only choose one, it would have to be the most played song in my very first car, a 1976 Malibu with three different shades of blue (not including the grey hood). That song was My Hooptie, and my car may have actually been worse than the one Mix rapped about. Note to teenagers, if your parents give you a choice of taking the bus or buying you a car that is older than you, take the bus. If they would have allowed multiple winners, The Boat, as I affectionately called it, would have won the school paper’s Heap of the Month for two straight years.

My Hooptie – Sir Mix-a-Lot My Hooptie - Seminar



And as angry as I was about the one hit wonders on their lists that were not really one, do not get me started on the songs the omitted. I scratched my head when I saw the list was only going to be 40 songs deep and I could off the top of my head come up with 40 songs that were snubbed. I have never been keen on doing my owe one hit wonder lists (my exception for my 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 00’s was because I only used songs that only had one song on my Best Songs of the Year lists from the decade, and not a traditional one hit wonder list), but VH1’s list made me so angry I may have to knock one out at some point. But do not expect it anytime soon because I have a couple other lists I am working on that I would like to do first.

No comments:

Post a Comment