Monday, July 07, 2008

First Impressions: I Love Money


Midget Mac aka Torrey Samuels aka the greatest reality star everDarn you VH1. I avoided I Love New York and Rock of Love like the plague and only watched the first episodes of Flavor of Love as well as the reunion specials, yet I could name each and every contestant of I Love Money right off the bat thanks to chatching seconds here and there while flipping channels. Of course the reason for watching I Love Money was after the Charm School and saying that a show with the three would be even better. And apparently someone at VH1 was listening. Granted no Charm School, but instead we get I Love Money, which is basically the MTV Real World/Road Rules Challenge for ugly people.

One of the big things of Charm School was burning the name that Flavor Flav gave them and reverting back to their given names. Well that didn't last long as most everyone, including the guys, are even calling themselves by their nicknames. There really isn't anything funnier than reality stars referring to themselves in third person nicknames. And by funnier I mean sadder.

Mr Boston aka Lee Marks aka the whitest white guy everHeadlining I Love Money is my boy Torrey “Midget Mac” Samuels, quite possibly the greatest reality star ever in the history of the world. Last fall I even found myself flipping off Heroes just to see what Midget Mac was doing this week on I Love New York 2. Unfortunately Mac didn’t stay too long has his bark turned out bigger that his bite by alienating half the cast, including team captain Nicole “Hoopz” Alexander (who I have a feeling will end up being the Ruthie of the crappy VH1 shows). Mac even got picked over Brandi Cunningham (who still goes by Brandi C. despite the lack of another Brandi on the show) who just twisted her ankle and has the IQ of even the lowest primates.

Wait, wasn't Megan Hauserman on Beauty and the Geek?With Midget Mac no longer around, Lee “Mr. Boston” Marks and his mix of self deprecation and bravado will turn out to be the star of the show. As for a frontrunner, it is hard to pick anyone who could pull off a win. Granted when you pool your contestant from people who tried to hook up with Flavor Flav, New York, and Brett Michaels, you are not getting the smartest, most mentally stable people in the world. If forced to pick I will go with Cindy “Rodeo” Steedle lucking into the 250,000 grand prizes with Frank “The Entertainer” Maresca as my fall back pick.

Verdict: Much like with MTV’s Challenges where I don’t watch the feeder shows anymore, I Love Money has that competitive angle that should make it watchable even in a passing a car crash kind of way. I Love Money airs Sundays at 9:00 on VH1. You can also download I Love Money on iTunes or Amazon Unbox (see below):



1 comment: