I have gotten a plethora of cool press releases have been flooding my inbox recently that you may find interesting. This post will include blurbs on Sons of Anarchy, The Crash Reel, Nazi Mega Weapon, The Definitive Guide to the Mob, Letters From Jackie: The Private Thoughts of Jackie Robinson, Impractical Jokers, FunKontrol, Orly, Cold Blood Club, and Californication.
- If you missed the first glimpse of the upcoming season of Sons of Anarchy (which will be coming sometime in September) during The Bridge, here it is for you now:
- In 2009, American snowboarding champion Kevin Pearce was enjoying the most successful competitive season of his career, winning several events and challenging the dominance of his friend-turned-rival, the legendary Shaun White. But on Dec. 31, while riding the slopes of Park City, Utah in final training for the 2010 Winter Olympics, he suffered a traumatic brain injury that left him in a coma, followed by a long road of adjusting to what would be a lifelong disability. Directed by two-time Oscar nominee Lucy Walker, The Crash Reel is an exhilarating ride through the world of Pearce, whose story underscores the high stakes for extreme sports stars. This riveting tale takes surprising turns as it follows his close-knit family and friends, drawing on footage filmed over two decades, from 232 different sources, that captures the soul of the sport. Questioning the price people pay for their passions, the powerful documentary debuts Monday at 9:00 exclusively on HBO. The film was an official selection of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and won the Audience Award at South By Southwest Film Festival. Check out the trailer below:
- In a quest for world domination, the Nazis built some of the biggest and deadliest pieces of military hardware and malevolent technology in history. PBS will air the first three episodes of the new six-part series Nazi Mega Weapons this summer. The series recounts Germany’s engagement in World War II from a unique perspective, uncovering the engineering secrets of iconic megastructures, telling the stories of the engineers who designed them and revealing how these structures sparked a technological revolution that changed warfare forever. Episodes will air on Wednesdays, July 17-31, 10:00 on PBS.
- Out on DVD next week History and former Colombo crime family captain Michael Franzese helps examine the American Mafia in The Definitive Guide to the Mob, and the documentary Letters From Jackie: The Private Thoughts of Jackie Robinson.
- truTV is expanding Impractical Jokers, the hit series in which four longtime friends take dares to an outrageous level. The network has not only ordered a 15-episode third season of the series, but also ordered six episodes of Jokers After Party, a brand new post-show series featuring Q, Murr, Joe and Sal chatting about their favorite moments from various episodes. truTV will kick off the second half of Impractical Jokers' season two on Thursday, Aug. 1, at 10:00.
- To celebrate their launch, FunKontrol has compiled exclusive tracks from a number of their artists, each remix perfect for summer and the July 4th holiday. The compilation includes songs from DJ Enferno, Terry Urban, The Melker Project, Hohme, DJ Scene, DJ Serafin, eSenTRIK, DJ Starski, Solidisco, DJ Prime and DJ Yonny. The entire project can be found at: http://bit.ly/fk_release
- Manhattan based, Australian born soul/pop artist Orly ushers in a new era of R&B with the release of her second album Distraction. Recommended for listeners of Amy Winehouse and Adele, Distraction’s blend of old school soul, beautiful ballads, and pop, has already generated significant buzz from fans and critics alike. The Deli Magazine declared "this old soul is breathing new life into a genre too often distracted with gimmicky props. when really all that's needed is the right singer to bring it's grooves to life. Orly will smooth even the most frazzled of Sunday morning nerves, and get you moving at the same time.”
- Brooklyn-based Cold Blood Club is a gang of musicians, 7-members-strong, who have been conquering the New York Indie dance scene one packed venue at a time since they debuted their edgy blend of soul, rock, and pop in the summer of 2011. Now, Cold Blood Club, who has been hailed as “almost too catchy for their own good” (The Deli Magazine), offers a taste of their forthcoming LP with new single/video, "Goodbye to All That." The New Wave delight, featuring catchy dance grooves, electro-beats and pop sensibilities was produced by Charles Newman (Magnetic Fields, Future Bible Heroes), and mixes in dark overtones to create a bittersweet atmosphere that reflects the nostalgic nature of the lyrics.
- If you liked Rob Lowe on his previous stints on Californiacation, you are in luck because Eddie Nero will pop again in the upcoming seventh season as a guest star on the show that Hank will be writing for.