Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Don't Download These Videos vol. XIII


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form so here they are courtesy of YouTube. I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available, if not the link goes to YouTube where you can watch the video in full screen). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


What I’ve Done - Linkin Park



Do we need a political Linkin Park video? Probably not. But it looks like it may be part of the band’s new make-over as Mike Shinoda gets pushed into the background as it looks like they lived up to their promise to move away from the rap-rock combo that put them on the map. I’m not the biggest Linkin Park fan but I am interested how the rest of the Rick Rubin produced album sounds like when Minutes to Midnight (a doomsday clock reference?) comes out in May.


Makes Me Wonder - Maroon 5



Your typical Maroon 5 video: The group plays in front of a wild backdrop while the lead singer, Adam Levine, gets fondled by hot chicks. As for the song, if this is any indication of what we can expect from their upcoming album, it may be a sophomore slump that will make The Killers’ slump look not so bad. There last album was very top heavy with the single being really good while the rest, well, calling them filler would be too nice for most of them. Makes Me Wonder falls somewhere in between.


Put it Down - Redman



As good of a rapper Redman is, it’s his videos are usually more entertaining and his latest doesn’t disappoint. It’s nice to see the dude from Chappelle’s Show actually get work (Redman had a classic cameo on the show) although what’s up with the fat dude. Shouldn’t he be in jail or at the very least being stalked by Chris Hansen?


My Humps - Alanis Morissette



I assume this was an April Fools Day joke gone horribly wrong. Yet even though I absolutely hate both Alanis Morissette and Fergie, I can’t stop watching this. Yeah, Ben Folds already did the ironic, slow down a rap song and put it against a piano when he reworked Dr. Dre’s classic (Expletive Deleted) Ain’t (Expletive Deleted) to a much better effect, although Folds didn’t have a video to faithfully recreate which just makes My Humps even more disturbingly entertaining. And it is a little ironic that this is the most anyone has talked about Alanis Morissette since, well, Ironic.

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely with you here. I seriously hope this is a joke, though I have to wonder why she would spend any money on making a video or spend the time making this terrible drivel.

    With this, she has definitely given up the little credibility she had left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's been a lot of debates about the new LP video. Personally, I don't like it but a lot of people appreciate the power behind it. I don't think they were specifically going for a political approach, the video just enduces that feeling when you watch it.

    LP have posted the vid on their official YouTube page now as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sgycukafqQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely the most disturbingly funny video since you posted less last Avril video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony: Actually I think I have enough money to make a video of that quality. Plus she had no credibility in my book so really there is no place but up for her.

    Static: Thanks for the head's up on the video.

    Jo: I may go as far as saying it is the most disturbingly funny video I have ever posted.

    ReplyDelete