Monday, January 02, 2006

Doing the Bull Dance, Feeling the Flow



When I first was brainstorming for a name for this blog, the most logical choice was a nickname that a college buddy gave me back in the day, Scooter McGavin. Now I have hated the nickname Scooter for the longest time but since this name was a take on a character from one of our favorite movies, Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore, I actually didn’t hate this moniker. Taking my love of the movie one step further, I added an obscure reference to make the blog’s name more unique with the 9th Green referring to where Shooter sent Happy on his first day on tour and ended with Happy getting soaked by the sprinklers.

Due to my unofficial 10 year waiting period for inductions into the Scooter Hall of Fame, Happy Gilmore hasn’t been eligible until now since the movie was released back in 1996, but if there were ever a first ballot inductee, it is this movie. (Granted 1996 was a great year for entertainment which I will go deeper into later this month including a Best of 1996 Lyrics Quiz on the 15th, so look out, and study up, for that). I still remember seeing the trailer to the movie for the first time with the classic line “The price is wrong, Bob” (of course they changed the line in the movie, which was much more funnier) followed by Happy punching the ancient Bob Barker. From that I knew I had to I would be in line I had to see the movie. The full page ad from the newspaper quickly made it up on my wall and was later replaced by the official movie poster that I got for Christmas that year.

And when I finally saw he movie, it didn’t disappoint. was at his best as the failed hockey player turned reluctant golfer. , in her first prominent role before becoming Carol Vessey on the brilliant Ed and more recently guest shots on Lost as Jack's (possibly) ex-wife, was solid as the love interest that helps Happy compete. Then there is my namesake Shooter McGavin as portrayed by the always reliable who plays the corny joke spewing adversary of Happy perfectly. Even all the bit players were on point the most memorable being Donald, the dude who Shooter paid to annoy Happy that led to the Bob Barker beating. It was because of him that “jackass” became the most used term of endearment, so to speak, among my college buddies. On top of all that there were great cameos from , , and Lee Travino.

Rarely do long stretches of time go by without me quoting the movie or emulating a scene. Since I’ve seen the movie, there hasn’t been a time when with a female when Endless Love comes on I haven’t turned to her and say, “Friends can hold hands while listening to Endless Love in the dark.” Sadly, though, I have yet to master the running drive. Maybe one day.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Happy Gilmore. Out of all of Adam Sandler's movies--Happy Gilmore is definitely my all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete