Friday, September 02, 2005

Oye Mi Canto


Earlier this week after my lengthy MTV Video Music Awards (click here) I received a comment in regards to a small, off the cuff remark of one of the surprise performances:

“- Morbidly Obese Joe presents a medley of Reggaeton artists. That was extremely horrible. This could be to my generation what rap was to my parents and rock and roll was to their parents. I really hate the whole getting old thing.”

Apperently this struck a cord in one of my readers who promply relies to my orginal comment, please note that I have taken out the all caps to make it easier to read and made two small changes that I viewed to be spelling error, otherwise the comment was left as is. If you would like to see the unedited version, look under the VMA recap, now on to the coment (also, if anyone no Spanish, if you could translate this for me and leave it in the comment section):

“Este mama bicho! Que coňo te crees tu? Mira cantode cabron! Im gonna explain this only once to you! Im Latino and proud, I been living in South Florida for 6 years now! Im Im gonna say sorry in advance!!! You are a white Anglo-American living in “Ohio” ja, ja, ja... You haven’t experienced Las Discotecas (nightclubs) Latinas, while Im Latino and live surrounded by them! Again I apologize for this. But what do you know of the fastest and biggest minority on the United States of America? (We’ll soon become a majority) By the year 2025 the numbers of Latinos living in the U.S. will be over 50 millions!!! It’s a fact by the time you read this there will be over 35 millions of Latinos changing this country for the better! We are the biggest consumers of products in the present and will continue to influence North America and the entire world!!! You must realize that we are an essential fuel that drives the U.S.A. economy!!! >>>>Now let me tell you about Reggaeton, it a genre of music that combines and blends (while being very original itself) most of the world’s music genres and sounds into (what is it -world music-) a very danceable, singable, likeable, sellable genre of music around the whole globe!So to wrap things up, first you should learn, then take part of the biggest movement in music history (because Reggaeton it’s the futuro of music), and remember its the 21st century so get use to the idea of changes, like Latinos being a majority in this country!!!!!! Chao y visita una discoteca o escucha la radio y oiras Reggaeton donde sea!!!!!"

Elcangriman69


After I read this I was originally going to apologize myself for offending him and his culture, but then realize that, the same review, that I made positive remarks about other Latinos such as Shakira, Eva Longoria, and some chick named Paulina Rubio, not to mention that I brought up my love of the steel drum. And I didn’t even have something bad to say about Ricky Martin’s appearance. And that's no small feat.

So I decided to ask my token Latino friend, whom I like to cart out every once in a while to show that I’m cultured, what is so entertaining about Reggaeton and his response was basically like mine, “What’s that?” So apparently not every Latino is familier with “the futuro of music.” That notion is enforced by your assumption that you “are the biggest consumers of product in the present,” where are all the sales of Reggaeton music, I don’t see them on the top of the Billboard charts.

Aside from my token Latino friend, I am very cultured in the way of my music collection with genres ranging from Rock, Pop, Reggae, Rap, Country (real country, not the hillbilly music that many people mistake for country music today), Jazz, Blues, Afro-Cuban, Soul, some that are by Latinos artist, most prominently Santana.

Now there is a possibility that I am wrong about Reggaeton as I’ve been wrong before about certain music that later has grown on me. Not to mention that at the awards show, MTV didn't give the genre a decent amount of time and I couldn't imagine anything endorsed by Morbidly Obese Joe could sound good. I am more than willing to give it another listen and the next time I’m in South Florida, I’m more than willing to check out a Las Discotecas Latinas, if you are willing to be my guide, Elcangriman69.


Wait, did I really spend all this time responding to a dude with the numbers "69" in his handle?

No comments:

Post a Comment