Thursday, February 24, 2011

Feed Your iPod vol. LV: (There You Go) Tellin' Me No Again


For last week’s Lyrics Quiz (there are plenty of songs left) I included Macy Gray’s line about “feenin’” and went to my iTunes library to do a spell check because apparently Word is still twenty years behind in adding it into its dictionary only to find the Jodeci song was sorely missing. While scouring my boxes of randomly forgotten CD for Diary of a Mad Band copy I posted the video onto my Facebook page wondering whatever happened to the group. As my buddy Doug pointed out the group was trying to mount a comeback on Keith Sweat’s Platinum House on some channel called TV One; I have never heard of the channel let alone the show. Seriously, how is that show on some network I have never heard of when VH1 hasn’t aired anything watchable since the last season of Tool Academy? But anyway. This only led me to realize that Keith’s Keep it Comin’ is another CD hiding in one of my boxes that needed to be added to my iTunes library. After some scavenging it turns out that I also own his self title, which I completely forgot I had.

The one track of my scavenging weekend that stuck out more than any other was Sweat’s (There You Go) Tellin’ Me No Again (seriously, what did early nineties R&B acts hate about the letter “g”?). Yesterday I mocked so many artist using cassette tapes in their music videos, but I first heard the song on cassette for the New Jack City Soundtrack. I played out the cassette so much because of the song; I had to buy it again on the more durable CD format. It’s sad that modern R&B has morphed so much into rap music that smooth R&B from the nineties has all but disappeared, but as long as I keep finding gems like this in my myster box of lost CD, it will soften the blow.

(There You Go) Tellin’ Me No Again – Keith Sweat (There You Go) Tellin' Me No Again - Keep It Comin'



No comments:

Post a Comment