Sunday, April 20, 2008

I Want My Music Television vol. XXIII


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form so here they are courtesy of YouTube. I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available, if not the link goes to YouTube where you can watch the video in full screen). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Homecoming - Kanye West



I believe Kanye West is now half way to making a video for each song off his new album. I always found it silly to have the dude from Coldplay sing the hook about Chicago. I don’t think he remembers fireworks on Lake Michigan. The effect are pretty cool anyways.


I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab for Cutie



Yeah some die-hards are upset with this song but I have to give it up to anyone with the gall to go with an eight plus minute epic as their first single without any lyrics until half way through. Now if only Death Cab for Cutie had taken a page out of the Guns n’ Roses playbook and had an accompanying super epic video to go along with it. But the infectious bass line almost makes up for it.


Bottle it Up - Sara Bareilles



What I like about Sara Bareilles, and why I think she will outlast other potential one hit wonder of the moment Colbie Caillat, is that she has an underlying starkiness. If you thought Love Song was about some dude, take a closer listen to the lyrics (hint: its dircted at her record company). And I love the opening line of this song, “They’ll be girls across the nation that will eat this up.”


Madly - Tristan Prettyman



I should have a review of Tristan Prettyman’s album up sometime this week, but in short it is better than her debut, of course I think only a small handful ever heard it. To hold you over until I get that up, you can currently download this song for free as iTunes Free Single of the Week (as long as the below graphic is still of her).

Tristan Prettyman free on iTunes


No comments:

Post a Comment