Saturday, April 22, 2006

Are You Ready for Some Football?


NFL DraftEvery Saturday for the past month or so I have plopped down in front of the television at noon and turn on to watch the NFL draft only to find miniature golf and darts instead. For all the hype this years draft has had starting with the completion of the Rose Bowl, you’d think that it would have happened by now. Now I do have on good authority that next week the draft will finally happen even though my interest started to fade around the end of March. If the NFL was smart, they’d hold the draft between the Super Bowl and the start of March Madness to completely capitalize the sport page as there is nothing worth talking about. Now it has to compete with the start of the NBA and NHL playoff and the MLB is still starting and still has a newness to it. But anyways.

As for the , they may have had the best off-season of any team so far by picking up the number one free agent center and one of the biggest names that won’t destroy your locker room, line backer . But they still haven’t done anything about its biggest question mark, the quarterback position. Both and are serviceable at the position but neither can get the team over the hump to make a dent in the playoffs. Apparently no one was listening to my advise earlier this off-season (see There’s Nothing Wrong with Ohio).

The big question for the upcoming draft is who going number one as to I answer, who cares? Unless you are a Texans fan or another fan of a team with a top five pick, it isn’t worth debating. So I will only concern myself with a team I actually root for. Early on I fully expect the Browns to sure up their front seven with more players more accustomed to their newly instituted 3-4 defense that put in next year. But when it comes down to it, I just hope they don’t pull another bonehead move by waiting their first and second round picks on more soldiers like Man, I really glad the Butch Davis era is over.

2 comments:

  1. I love football but I've never been able to work up much interest in the draft. I put it on every year but by the time they've gotten to the 5th pick my eyes have glazed over and I'm looking for something else to do with my Saturday (the picks will be in the paper or on NFL.com soon enough, I don't need to witness guys taking photos holding up jerseys to teams they may or may not be really happy to be part of.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually wait until the first Browns pick, then check updates on the internet after that.

    ReplyDelete