Thursday, December 01, 2005

You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch



There are a few things for everyone that until it happened, it just doesn’t feel like Christmas. For me I must hear U2’s Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) , eat some of my mom’s special holiday jello, watch somebody shoot their eye out (no need to watch all of ), and number one on the list is I have to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas which is December’s induction into the Scooter Hall of Fame. I hope it goes without mention but I’m referring to the original cartoon, not the live action Jim Carrey version that came out a couple years ago.

As versatile as Jim Carrey is, he just can’t compete with Boris Karloff’s narration of the classic book and captures the book much better than the movie that drags on too long. At 26 minutes, the cartoon was a perfect way to tell myself, back in my younger days, what truly matter at the holidays and it can still hit home with the youth of today even after almost forty years.

I’m sure everyone is different in what reminds them of Christmas, but whatever it is, make sure you take time out in the next couple of days to make sure you check off all you holiday tradition list and also take some time out to remember what Christmas is all about.


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree, I am a big fan of the original Grinch. Even though they used Hannibal Lecter as the narrator on the live action one, he can't touch Frankenstein.

    Plus, that ain't the Grinch, it's Jim Carey. A more appropriate title for the newer one would be, "How Jim Carey Stole the Grinch".

    ReplyDelete