Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I Got a Basketball Jones


The NCAA brackets have been out for a couple days and after 30-40 hours of deliberation a finally can give my two cents. First thing I noticed about this year's bracket is that the committee put seed is a why to contradict my previous rules for filling out your bracket.

Cincinnati (Rule #1 - Never bet on Bob Huggins) vs. Iowa (Rule #2 - Never bet on the Big Ten)
Illinois (Rule #2 - Never bet on the Big Ten) playing at Indianapolis; then Chicago if they win their first two games (Rule #5 - Home Court Matters)

So these have really put a wrench into my bracket this year. But I will persevere. Onto my pick. Here are my upset specials for each region:

(13) Ohio over (4) Florida (Rule # 4 - The MAC is always good for a win)
(12) Old Dominion over (5) Michigan St. (Rule #2 - Never bet on the Big Ten)
(8) Pacific over (1) Washington (This is a 2nd round match-up, just have a feeling Washington will be the first #1 seed to go down. Granted I have an east coast bias)
(11) UAB over (6) LSU (The Gonzaga Corollary of Rule # 4 - The MAC is always good for a win)

As for my Final Four:

Wake Forest over Illinois
Duke over Kansas

Duke is your 2005 National Champion

One rule I inadvertently left off my previous post is to find out who everyone else has winning and avoid picking them. This year the team to avoid is UNC. Favorites rarely win and if they do, and everyone else picks them, it's less like you will if you look at the odds. If your dark house (not that a #1 seed is that much of a dark horse), it makes it easier too win just from an odds standpoint.

Keep in mind, picks are subject to change up until noon on Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. I have so many brackets that it would be difficult to post about one that I feel is most likely to happen.

    I'll tell you these things:

    Washington is better than most think. My wife is from Seattle and after living there for three of the past four years, I accepted orders back there in May because we missed so much. That being said, I've followed the Huskies rebirth under Lomar the last few years and they will shock someone, IMO.

    UAB is in Conference USA, so your MAC rule doesn't apply there.

    I also am picking ODU over the very unimpressive Michigan State.

    It's tougher to care when your favorite team isn't in the field, though. :( RIP Hogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have jumped the boat with using Rule #4 with UAB, but CUSA is very close do being a mid-major with their best two teams, Louisville and Cincinnati, defecting in the future.

    ReplyDelete