Monday, February 27, 2017

The Twenty-Five Best Knockout Round Performances on The Voice



I knew last season of The Voice would be a hard watch just because of Miley Cyrus as judge (who ended up being worse than I expected) but the reason I stopped watching after the Blind Auditions was the lack of talent. No one singer grabbed me with a first impression. I did go through all the Knockout Round performances later for this list but realized I made the right decision to stop the season early because not one was worthy of this list.

My favorite part of the Knockouts is the completely unnecessary staging of having your opponent sit in the corner while you perform.  And there is really is only three reactions you can have, 1) enjoy a front seat experience, 2) sit stone face like you are playing poker, or my personal favorite, 3) give the oh crap I am going home face.  Though you can usually tell who is going to win from early on, the Knockout Round is a make or break for most everyone else. But for every breakout, there is just as many falls. I remember thinking Savannah Berry was a front runner… right up until she chose to sing a Justin Beiber song, letting Danielle Bradbery to take her country-pop spot and the win on one of the rare seasons the winner was not easily telegraphed. As for those who actually excelled at the Knockout Round, here is my list of the best.

1. A Sunday Kind of Love - Amy Vachal


2. Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!) - Regan James


3. Leave Your Lover - Caity Peters


4. Put Your Records On - Nicholas David


5. A Case of You - Madi Davis


6. Even if it Breaks Your Heart - Morgan Frazier

7. I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Juhi

8. Electric Feel - Brooke Adee

9. Gypsy - Katie Basden

10. Let Her Go - Cole Vosbury

11. At Last - Sasha Allen

12. Hold On, I'm Coming - Mia Z

13. The Way I Am - Caroline Pennell

14. No Woman, No Cry - Preston Pohl

15. If You Love Somebody Set Them Free - Kimberly Nichole

16. Listen to Your Heart - Deanna Johnson

17. Stompa - Jacquie Lee

18. Paris (Ooh La La) - Amanda Brown

19. Heartbreaker - Ashley Morgan

20. Little Talks - Caroline Glaser

21. Creep - Holly Henry

22. Don't Know Why - Stephanie Anne Johnson

23. I'm with You - Amber Carrington

24. Could You Be Loved - Suzanna Choffel

25. Cosmic Love - Matthew Schuler



And here is how they rank per coach.

Adam – 6
Pharrell - 5
Blake - 5
Cee-Lo – 4
Christina – 4
Shakira – 1
Usher - 0
Alicia - 0
Miley – 0
Gwen – 0

I was a bit surprised that Adam ranked on top, granted he only had one in the top ten… and even that was a Battle Round Steal he sent home. Then you have Pharrell who was only on four of eleven season had just one less than Adam and as many as Blake despite those other two being on every season. Dude has an eye for talent. As for the most by season, here is that list (keep in mind the Knockout Round did not start until the third season and inexplicably was replaced with a second Battle Round for season six):

Season 3 – 3
Season 4 - 3
Season 5 - 8
Season 7 – 1
Season 8 – 5
Season 9 - 3
Season 10 – 2
Season 11 - 0


No comments:

Post a Comment