Monday, March 04, 2013

A Very Spoilery Review of Looper




Over the weekend I watch the movie Looper starring Joseph Gordon-Levett where he plays the younger version of Bruce Willis (even though he clearly looked like he was a younger version Ed Norton to the point that I wondered if Norton was replaced at the last minute and Gordon-Levett just said, “screw it, I spent months perfecting my Ed Norton, I am just going to go with it) who has to kill his future self when his future crime boss sent Willis back from the future to be killed off by current day looper, thus closing the loop. As the title suggests, this review is going to be very spoilery, so if you have not seen the film, stop reading, go watch the movie and come back here. It is definitely worth watching and discussing which is what I am about to do.

Last chance, because I am about to spoil the ending.

There are eventually three theories when it comes to time travel, 1) time is a linear unit so if you went back in time you will not be able to change anything because it already happened and you were already there, like on Lost. 2) If you time travel you are creating an alternative timeline so you can change the future in the current timeline, just the timeline you just created, like on Terra Nova (or so I assumed, I never watched the show). 3) If you go back in time, be careful because you may alter history, like when Marty McFly almost ceased to exist when he made up with his future mom. Looper follows the third theory of time travel.

Before, and during the movie I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you do not kill Hitler if given the chance via time travel. Who knows, Hitler may have been suppressing someone ever worse that would rise in his void. You may even cease to exist because you grandfather may have met, and fallen in love with someone who would have died at the hands of the Nazis instead of your grandmother meaning your father is never conceived, and neither are you. But there was a point where I figured that Bruce Willis has changed enough; he might as well kill the Rainmaker.

This is why I was a bit disappointed with the ending. At the end, starring at Willis starring at Emily Blunt, shielding the future Rainmaker, Gordon-Levitt had three options: 1) kill Willis and help Emily raise the Rainmaker and make sure he harnesses his powers for good. 2) Help Willis hunt down the future Rainmaker to make sure his reign of terror never starts. But Joseph picked the third and what I thought was the worst of the three options he had: killing himself (and in turn taking Bruce with him to the afterlife) leaving the world to fend for itself against the Rainmaker.

That is not to say I did not enjoy Looper, it was my favorite sci-fi movie since Inception, but the more I think about the ending, the more I dislike keeping it from being as good as Inception along with some of the lesser quibbles I have (how does Blunt know about Looper? I was disappointed that Jeff Daniels did not play a bigger part in the whole of the movie; I thought he would turn out to be the Rainmaker’s father or possibly the older version of his inept employee that kept shooting his own foot). But the movie did make me think and I wish there were many more movies released these days that make you think and debate as much as I have spent debating the ending with myself alone.

Looper gets a Terror Alert Level: High [ORANGE] on my Terror Alert Scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment