Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Feed Your iPod vol. LXVII: Helplessness Blues



As I have stated many time, February is the worst month of the year. It is bitterly cold, the days are short, the is a lull in the sports schedule in-between the Super Bowl and March Madness, it features the lamest holiday on the calendar (and before you get too excited about the groundhog avoiding his shadow this year, Phil turns out to be wrong more times than he is right. There is rarely any good music or movies released in the second month of the year. It is no wonder why it was the least amount of days in a month. So I embrace the most horrible time of the year with a little Helplessness Blues. I love the song as soon as I heard it (it landed at number 6 on my list of the 100 Best Songs of 2011) but recently I have found the opening verse really poignant.

I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
Like a snowflake distance among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see
And now after some thinking, I’d say I’d rather be
A functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me
But I don’t, I don’t know what that will be.


Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes


No comments:

Post a Comment