Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I Want My Music Television - 12/19/12


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


I Knew You Were Trouble - Taylor Swift


As theatrical as Taylor Swift has been, it is a bit surprising that this is the first music video with an overblown two minute monologue that is not part of the original song to start a video. And of course it is presented in widescreen. But I am not sure we needed the Taylor Swift version of Trainspotting, she should go back to making rom-com style videos.


Brand New Me – Alicia Keys


Speaking of unnecessary intros, Alicia Keys has to deal with some skeevy director in her new video. Maybe he was the one who forced her to wear that horrible Barbara Streisand / A Star Is Born wig. She was right to rip it off.


Miss Atomic Bomb - The Killers


I did not even realize that was supposed to be an animated version of Brandon Flowers until I saw him with the rest of the animated The Killers. I am still not completely sure that is supposed to be him. And if that is not confusing enough, apparently the old dude is the old Brandon. Then to make it even more confusing Eric Roberts shows, which I guess this makes it a sequel to Mr. Brightside? Does that make Mr. Brightside and Miss Atomic Bomb a couple? The band must have felt very reminiscent this week because they also released their second Tim Burton directed video (but not stop motion animated but just as weird as Bones) for Here with Me. The video makes me wonder when Hollywood is going to get around to a Mannequin remake.


C'mon Let Me Ride - Skylar Grey featuring Eminem


I liked Skylar Grey when she was a moody indie chick, but this, oh goodness no. This song is horrible even if it is supposed to be semi-ironic, which I am not even sure it is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment