Monday, January 09, 2006

First Impressions - The Book of Daniel


The Book of DanielWhen I first heard about it never really appeared on my radar. It sounded too much like with the talking deity and all. I did watch Joan of Arcadia but I wasn’t really up in arms when they canceled the show as the whole talking to God routine was getting stale. But then last week I kept on reading about religious zealots were boycotting the show with a couple NBC affiliates refusing to even air the show. Personally I like to wait until I’ve actually seen something before I condemn it, but that’s just me. Now there is nothing like a little controversy to peek my interest ever since became a must own in my childhood after being deemed obscene by the government.

So I ended up taping the show to see what the fuss is about and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Not in the entertainment value but after all the hoopla I was expecting Sodom and Gomorra but it was no where near as bad as most stuff on TV today and I would say , which has won Family Awards, is much more immoral at times. Everything tackled in the double episode has been dealt with many times before on TV including many that are considered family friendly, homosexuality, prescription and illicit drug abuse, drug dealing, inter-racial dating, the couple that brings in dude’s secretary to spice things up in the bedroom. The only thing that the religious fanatics should really be mad about is the mob-catholic church connection. That was the only time I thought the show was pushing it, everything else is dealt with real life brevity sometimes painstakingly so as with grandma’s Alzheimer’s. Those scenes were just painful to watch and always make my heart ache thinking about people that really go through that every day.

The show has a nice blend of well respected actors such as as the pill popping priest. is Quinn’s Bishop who likes to mooch on his stash and his dad while of plays his wife. Then the kids are virtual unknown with the adopted Asian son, the openly gay son (well except grandpa doesn’t know yet), and the weed selling daughter who looks like the blonde version of . The kids really bring most of the entertainment value to the show like when the Asian and gay sons tried to our slur each other at the family dinner. also appears as the daughter of a family that tells the adoptive mom they “don’t want a bunch of Asian kids running around at Christmas” when they find out thing are getting serious between the two teenagers. Of course Panettiere is of importance because my sources tell me she is quickly becoming the next . No not because she’s a former Disney actress who dreams of a singing career, but for her alleged underage drinking, smoking, and partying with . Somewhere is practicing pick up-lines.

Sadly the least interesting character is Jesus himself who is no where as entertain as God on Joan of Arcadia. Jesus shows up usually whenever Quinn is thinking about taking one of his pills. This is not to be confused with on when Jesus shows up whenever he thinks about taking a drink. Hopefully he will become more entertaining in future episodes because dude can walk on water; he shouldn’t be too hard to write for.

Verdict: Not as offensive as some my have you believe and is worth a second or third look. But with a 10:00 on Friday timeslot, make sure to set your VCR.

2 comments:

  1. As a conservative Christian, I wholeheartedly disagree with all these activists that want to practice censorship. I think censorship's wrong, no matter who you represent. If I take someone's rights away, that opens the floodgates for anyone else to take my rights away. I blogged about this at http://jdmatthews.blogspot.com/2006/01/controversy-over-book-of-daniel-i.html and I welcome any comments and thoughts on it.

    Go Packers! (sigh...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those to lazy to copy and paste here's the link for JD Controversy Over Book of Daniel

    ReplyDelete