Friday, May 17, 2019

The Five Most (and Least) Anticipated Shows of 2019-20



One thing I noticed as the networks were releasing their schedules, I am not watching much next fall, especially dramas, which I will only be watching three of. It could stem from not really wanting to watch twenty-two episodes of a show over the course of a year anymore and just the lack of creativity. Sure there will a few cable shows that have not been announced yet that will take up time, most likely Homeland, Mr. Robot, and The Walking Dead, but I may be watching less television this fall than I have in a while this fall. Here are the few bright spots that caught my eye.

1. The Great (Hulu, TBD): Hulu did not release a trailer but did show one during their Upfronts and let me tell you, this show looks like a hoot. It is an absurdist look at Catherine the Great, not to be confused with HBO’s super serious take on the Russian princess starring Helen Mirran. The Hulu show stars the much younger Elle Fanning with Nicolas Hoult hamming it up as a Prussian suiter. Definitely keep an eye out for this one.

2. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC, Midseason): When pilot announcements started rolling in, the only one that really caught my eye was Jane Levy starring in a musical. That is all I needed to know. And that is basically all I know at this point because NBC did not release a trailer. Hopefully this turns out better than NBC’s last musical Rise.

3. Dollface (Hulu, TBD): Another Hulu show that they did not release a trailer to the public but I got to see, and this is actually weirder than The Great. It reminded me of Man Seeking Woman but from the woman’s point of view and that woman is Kat Dennings. It will be nice seeing her in something that is not as bad as 2 Broke Girls.

4. Snowpiercer (TBS, Spring): Here is a show that may have been on my list last year too because it has seemed to be gestating for a while now. Based on a very good movie which I came away thinking, this could have made for a great television show having each car be its own episode. But due to the lengthy production time and word that the show is moving from TNT to TBS (because, you know, the movie was so forking funny), I was a little worried, but TBS also announced it has been announced for season two. So maybe there is hope still that it will live up to the hype in my head.

5. Perfect Harmony (NBC, Thursdays at 8:30): NBC’s other musical show, this one about a church choir. Since it stars Pitch Perfect’s Anna Camp, I am hoping for some gratuitous cameo.


As the great philosopher Butt-Head once pondered, how would we know if something was cool if there weren't things that sucked, here are the five shows you could not pay me to watch next fall

1. BH90210 (Fox, Wednesdays at 9:00) – No, not a reboot, a fake reality show, because… who knows.

2. Batwoman (CW, Sundays at 8:00) – Batwoman was just horrible in the last CW crossover, why they thought giving not-Batman her own show is very puzzling.

3. Katy Keen (CW, Midseason): A Riverdale spinoff, the second one, except I knew who Sabrina the Teenage Witch is, who the fork is Katy Keen.

4. Nancy Drew (CW, Wednesdays at 9:00): Not a Riverdale spinoff technically, but certainly looks like it.

5. The Unicorn (CBS, Thursdays at 8:30): Boyd Crowder deserves better than a crappy CBS sitcom.


Here are the few things I will be watch on network television this fall:

Mondays
8:00 – The Neighborhood (CBS)

Tuesdays
9:00 – Mixish (ABC)
9:30 – Blackish (ABC)

Wednesdays
8:00 – Survivor (CBS)
8:00 – The Goldbergs (ABC)
8:30 – Schooled (ABC)
9:00 – Not Just Me (Fox)
9:00 – Modern Family (ABC)

Thursdays
8:00 – Superstore (NBC)
8:30 – Perfect Harmony (NBC)
9:00 – The Good Place (NBC)
9:30 – Sunnyside (NBC)

Fridays
8:00 – The Blacklist (NBC)

Sundays

9:00 - Supergirl (The CW)

No comments:

Post a Comment