Monday, August 05, 2013

I Want My Music Television: 8/5/13


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Picasso Baby – Jay-Z


Last month Jay-Z performed this song for about six hours straight and now we get to see why, he was just rapping it over and over again for people to cut it together for a “performance art film” which apparently is just music video with credits (which thankfully were there otherwise I would not have noticed the legendary Fab 5 Freddy). But seriously, when you spend your time hanging out with the cast of Girls, you have really lost touch with reality.


Wake Me Up - Avicii featuring Aloe Blacc


As far as modern dance music is concerned, the new Avicii song is actually tolerable, but I still wish Aloe Blacc would release an “acoustic” version of the song. Seriously, this song is a ballad; you should not be adding an electronic dance breakdown to it. And the music video is borderline offensive. They completely ripped of the concept for the No Rain music video but replaced the Bee Girl with an impossibly cute girl and her absurdly attractive sister (I am assuming). I am sorry if I do not feel bad for outcasts who look like they stepped right out of an Abercrombie commercial.


Made To Love - John Legend


It looks like John Legend is jumping on the gratuitous nudity trend of 2013 though he does keep all the bits and pieces covered (it I only a matter of time before we get a “director’s cut”). Though it did distract me enough to forget to actually listen to the song. Is there any actually verses in the song or does he just repeat the chorus over and over for four minutes?


Hearts Like Ours – The Naked and Famous


The Naked adn Famous caught my ear two years ago with Young Blood, a song so catchy I informally created the Peter Bjorn and John Award for the Catchiest Indie Pop Song of the Summer (which I made a real thing the next year). The rest of the album was alright, but I wished there was more song that were upbeat like Young Blood and less drowned in synthesizers like the rest of the album. They have a new album In Rolling Waves coming out next month and though the first single is not as catchy as Young Blood, I think I do like it better than pretty much everything on Passive Me, Aggressive You. And the video reminds me of a darker version of the Young Blood video.

No comments:

Post a Comment