Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Don't Call it a Comeback IX: Jodeci



It seems like once a week I am listening to my iTunes library and I hear a song that makes me go, this artist really needs a comeback. So I thought I would start a new feature here on the 9th Green highlighting an artist that really needs to reenter the public consciousness. The only criterion is that the artist hasn’t had a legitimate hit in over a decade.

Due for a Comeback: Jodeci

Biggest Hit: Freek’n You


Last Hit: Get On Up (1996)

Where Are They Now: In a story I broke earlier this week, K-Ci and JoJo just released a new video in advance up their upcoming album My Brother’s Keeper coming out September 24. It is their first in over a decade. Devante Swing’s Swing Mob dominated late nineties RnB but he and his brother Mr. Dalvin have been relative quiet this century. The group had a small resurgence earlier this year when Drake release his Jodeci Freestyle but most of the attention centered around J Cole’s line about autism that both rappers apologized for (as inappropriate as the line was, it is still depressing that we now live in a time where rappers are apologizing for their lyrics; remember in the good old days when Ice-T would sing about killing cops and not only would he not apologize, he would show up on the cover of the Rolling Stone in a cop uniform complete with a threatening face and a billie club).

Why the World Needs a Jodeci Comeback: Because as I was excited to hear K-Ci and JoJo were back, I would be screaming like the women in the Drake song is Jodeci came back. The group probably made the best RnB album of the nineties, Diary of a Mad Band, with possibly the best song from the genre in the time period Feenin’ which to this day is still an vital part of my Baby Makin’ Playlist. And it seems like every RnB song these days has to be infused with hip=-hop or dance beats, it would be nice to go back to the days of New Jack Swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment