Monday, July 15, 2013

I Want My Music Television: 7/15/13




There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Babel - Mumford & Sons


I know Mumford and Sons are about ninety percent passion, but no one can look cool jamming out on a stand up keyboard. Even the accordion looked cooler.


Never Gonna Let You Go – Tony Lucca


I liked Tony Lucca before he was on The Voice, even had a couple albums by the guy. And though he has my favorite Blind Audition that season, he never really found his footing after that and the feud was Christina was a bit cringeworthy. This song is better than any of his Live Show performances though still a bit pedestrian. I do like the video, it looks that as if Tony learned one thing from his coach Adam Levine, is that every music video needs a token hot chick. Granted Adam usually take that opportunity to roll around with them naked.


If - Glassvegas


C’mon, Glasvegas, how do you recruit William Shatner for your music video and not have him do a horrible spoken rendition of your song? But I guess his all the great songs have already been written monologue was appropriate for a song the repurposes the Talking Heads’ Road to Nowhere.


American Girl – Bonnie McKee


I actually liked Bonnie McKee’s debut album, but apparently I was the only one because it bombed and nine years later she was not released another one. In the intervening years she has made a name for herself writing horrible pop songs for Katy Perry (including four number one hits), Adam Lambert, and Carly Rae Jepsen, all who repaid her for showing up in her new music video featuring a slew of other celebrities for a song that sound more like the horrible songs she has been writing lately that her much better earlier stuff. That probably means this will be much more successful. Ugg.

No comments:

Post a Comment