Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I Want My Music Television - 6/22/11


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Perform This Way - "Weird Al" Yankovic



I have been listening to “Weird Al” Yankovic my whole life, would tape the Dr. Demento Show whenever he was on, even bought his Box Set release even though I owned all his albums, but I really need the Men in Black mind eraser gadget so I can wipe this music video from my memory. Remember his song Do I Creep You Out? I can finally answer that question with an emphatic yes.


Block after Block – Matt and Kim



Matt and Kim are back to their guerilla tactics on the streets of New York City, but managed to keep their clothes on. Why cannot all music videos be this fun?


Calgary – Bon Iver



After working with Kanye West for his Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, I was interested on if Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver) would take any of that influence into his new album. And from the sounds of Calgary, in this song at least his sound is fuller. And he also seemed to take Kanye’s recent penchant for weird visuals in his music video.


Life Is Life – Noah and the Whale



When we last saw Noah and the Whale they were telling us that life goes on (or at least spelling it) and now Life Is Life. But with the cheerleaders in the performance shots I cannot help but think of the lost nineties gen Popular by Nada Surf.

No comments:

Post a Comment