Wednesday, May 07, 2008

We on Award Tour: 2008 MTV Movie Awards Nominations


It has been over a decade since the last time Mike Myers hosted the MTV Movie Awards and if I am not mistaken; his Riverdance spoof was one of TV Guide’s top ten funniest things on television ever. Granted it has been about that long since Myers has been consistently funny (I have the second Austin Powers being that specific date). No music performance announced yet, but last year they boasted both Rihanna and Amy Winehouse. I have the rundown of the nominees below and who I voted for. Vote for yourself over at MTV.com.


Best Movie
Juno
Transformers
Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End
I Am Legend
Superbad
National Treasure 2 - Book of Secrets

Who Will Win: Transformers
Who I Voted For: Superbad

I would scoff at the inclusion of the Pirates movie because I and everyone I know panned it, but I thought that about the second one, but it won last year. But I still think the nerds will come out in force for Transformers, which I didn’t see because I didn’t want my childhood destroyed again by Michael Bruckheimer.


Best Male Performance
Will Smith - I Am Legend
Shia LaBeouf - Transformers
Denzel Washington - American Gangster
Matt Damon - The Bourne Ultimatum
Michael Cera - Juno

Who Will Win: Will Smith
Who I Voted For: Michael Cera

My vote for Michael Cera was more because I wanted to vote for his Superbad role, but Juno will have to do.


Best Female Performance
Ellen Page - Juno
Keira Knightley - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Katherine Heigl - Knocked Up
Amy Adams - Enchanted
Jessica Biel - I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry

Who Will Win: Keira Knightley
Who I Voted For: Amy Adams

It is not a good sign about the fairer sex that two of the nominees (Heigl, Biel) were the least interesting part of their respected movies.


Best Villain
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Denzel Washington - American Gangster
Angelina Jolie - Beowulf
Topher Grace - Spider-Man 3
Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men

Who Will Win: Javier Bardem
Who I Voted For: Javier Bardem

How is Venom nominated but no Sandman? That may be the biggest snub of the year. Not that anyone could beat the creepy dude from No Country for Old Men.


Best Comedic Performance
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Adam Sandler - I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
Jonah Hill - Superbad
Seth Rogen - Knocked Up
Amy Adams - Enchanted

Who Will Win: Seth Rogan
Who I Voted For: Adam Sandler

This may come down to the Apatow guys with Rogan edging it out thanks to Hill’s sub par job on Saturday Night Live. Granted with my name, I am required to vote for Sandler.


Best Fight
Matt Damon vs. Joey Ansah - The Bourne Ultimatum
Tobey Maguire vs. James Franco - Spider-Man 3
Hayden Christensen vs. Jamie Bell - Jumper
Sean Faris vs. Cam Gigandet - Never Back Down
Chris Tucker & Jackie Chan vs. Sun Ming Ming - Rush Hour 3
Alien vs. Predator - Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem

Who Will Win: The Bourne Ultimatum
Who I Voted For: Spiderman 3

In a measure of full discloser, the only fight here I saw was from Spiderman.


Best Kiss
Shia LaBeouf and Sarah Roemer - Disturbia
Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey - Enchanted
Daniel Radcliffe and Katie Leung - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Ellen Page and Michael Cera - Juno
Briana Evigan and Robert Hoffman - Step Up 2 The Streets

Who Will Win: Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey
Who I Voted For: Ellen Page and Michael Cera

I think I say this every year, but they need to kill this category.


Breakthrough Performance
Zac Efron - Hairspray
Seth Rogen - Knocked Up
Jonah Hill - Superbad
Michael Cera - Superbad
Chris Brown - This Christmas
Nikki Blonsky - Hairspray
Megan Fox - Transformers
Christopher Mintz-Plasse - Superbad

Who Will Win: Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Who I Voted For: Christopher Mintz-Plasse

Vote McLovin, if only for his PSA with Kristen Bell.




Best Summer Movie So Far
Iron Man
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Sex and the City: The Movie
Speed Racer
The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Who Will Win: Iron Man
Who I Voted For: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I guess this replaces last year’s lame Best Movie You Haven’t Seen, but the Studio’s are Paying Us Big Bucks to Promote Them. Of these, only one has actually been released so far, so this is still lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment