Friday, December 28, 2007

25 Best Mash-Ups of 2007


One of the coolest musical innovations in recent memory is the mash-up. For those that may not be familiar with the term, it can best be described when you take the vocals from one song and place them over the instrumental from a different song. The artform may have not gotten as much press this year as it has in past years but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some great new mash-ups floating around the internet. I tried to give credit to the creator of the mash-up, but due to some poor labeling, some have gotten lost and I even had to create a name for a few mash-ups that I discovered nameless. Also some of these songs may have been created earlier than 2007 but this is a list of songs I’ve found this year.

Please do not ask for me to send you any of these songs because for legal reasons I cannot confirm or deny that any of these songs actually exist (but I will point out there is a Google search box on the sidebar as well as other helpful links). You know, because I would not illegally download copyrighted material even though that material has been altered from any version that could be bought anywhere. If you want the unaltered album version of the songs, on the second line I will list the main songs that make up the mash-up (note some have more songs than I’ve listed):


1. Dip it Joe - Pheugoo
Christina Milian (Dip It Low) vs. Jimi Hendrix Experience (Hey Joe)

2. Escasy of Gold - DJ Erb
Nas (One Mic) vs. Ennio Morricone (The Ecstasy of Gold)

3. Lord Move Me on Up - locK3Down
DMX (Lord Give Me a Sign) vs. Primal Scream (Movin’ on Up)

4. Mashups in Heaven - Norwegian Recycling
Eric Clapton (Tears in Heaven) vs. Lionel Ritchie (Say You, Say Me)

5. Red Umbrella - DJ Topcat
Rihanna (Umbrella) vs. UB40 (Red, Red Wine)

6. Keep the Car Crazy - DJ Vic
Beyoncé (Crazy in Love) vs. Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running)

7. Listen Twice - DJ BC
Talib Kweli (Listen!!!) vs. The Doobie Brothers (Listen to the Music)

8. Clock a Minute - Pheugoo
The Pussycat Dolls featuring Timbaland (Wait a Minute) vs. Coldplay (Clocks)

9. The World Changes on its Own - Cro
Amy Winehouse (Tears Dry on Their Own) vs. Eric Clapton (Change the World)

10. Mercy for the Scientist - Bobby Martini
Peter Gabriel (Mercy Street) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist)

11. Drop it Like it’s a Whole LottLed Snooppelin - Party Ben
Snoop Dogg featuring Pharrell Williams (Drop it Like it’s Hot) vs. Led Zeppelin (Whole Lotta Love)

12. Got My Crush Set on You - DJ BC
Lil’ Ceaz and Lil’ Kim (Crush on You) vs. George Harrison (Got My Mind Set on You)

13. (Are You Gonna Be My) Dirrrty Girl - Soundhog
Christina Aguilera featuring Redman (Dirrty) vs. Jet (Are You Gonna Be My Girl)

14. How Six Songs Collide - Norwegian Recycling
Jason Mraz (I’m Yours) vs. Howie Day (Collide)

15. You Don’t Know My Sweet Emotion - Aggro1
Alicia Keys (You Don’t Know My Name) vs. Aerosmith (Sweet Emotion)

16. Stir Up Problems - McSleazy
Jay-Z (99 Problems) vs. Charlatans (Song Unknown)

17. The Weather Episode - Go Home Productions
Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg (The Next Episode) vs. Crowded House (Weather with You)

18. Turn Off Bubba - Norwegian Recycling
Nelly Furtado (Turn Off the Light) vs. Bubba Sparxxx (Deliverance)

19. Gimmie the Nightclub - Dan Meth
50 Cent (In da Club) vs. George Benson (Give Me the Night)

20. My Favorite Name - Loo & Placido
Destiny’s Child (Say My Name) vs. The Cardigans (My Favourite Game)

21. More Falls Down - DJ Crook Air
Kanye West (All Falls Down) vs. Len (Steal My Sunshine)

22. Woohaa - DJ Nicky
Busta Rhymes (Woo Ha!! Got You All in Check) vs. AC/DC (Back in Black)

23. Killing Boombastic - DJ Zebra
Shaggy (Boombastic) vs. Rage Against the Machine (Killing in the Name)

24. Puppet Rock - CCC
Queen (We Will Rock You) vs. 5th Dimension (Puppet Man)

25. Penthouse Temperature - Essexboy
Sean Paul (Temperature) vs. Alan Braxe and Fred Fauke (Penthouse Serenade)

(Psst... Here is number 1, do not tell the RIAA)



4 comments:

  1. I love mashups. Brilliant. I wish I were that clever and musical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I'm not sure if I want my mind to be so warped to think, "you know it may sound cool if I mixed this classic song about killing a cheating girlfriend and a cheesy song about seducing a boyfriend" but I'm am certainly glad there are people like that out there that do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do we download these

    ReplyDelete