Monday, October 08, 2007

The Best of A Tribe Called Quest


In a story I broke yesterday, A Tribe Called Quest is being honored tonight at VH1’s Hip Hop Honors after calling for them to be done so since the inception of the show. There are very few artists that have put out five or more albums of which I own all of them and A Tribe Called Quest is one of them. So in honor of them getting their just due, here is a list of the group’s best songs that can fit on a single CD (running time 78:02). All songs are credited to A Tribe Called Quest unless noted otherwise:


1. I Left My Wallet In El Segundo - Peoples’ Instinctive Travels & the Paths of Rhythm (1990)
2. Can I Kick It? - Peoples’ Instinctive Travels & the Paths of Rhythm (1990)
3. Bonita Applebum - Peoples’ Instinctive Travels & the Paths of Rhythm (1990)
4. Check the Rhime - Low End Theory (1991)
5. Jazz (We've Got) - Low End Theory (1991)
6. Scenario (featuring Leaders of a New School) - Low End Theory (1991)
7. Award Tour (featuring Trugoy The Dove) - Midnight Marauders (1993)
8. The Chase, Part II - Midnight Marauders (1993)
9. Steve Biko (Stir It Up) - Midnight Marauders (1993)
10. Electric Relaxation - Midnight Marauders (1993)
11. 8 Million Stories - Midnight Marauders (1993)
12. Get It Together - Beastie Boys featuring Q-Tip - Ill Communication (1994)
13. 1nce Again - Beats, Rhymes and Life (1996)
14. Rumble in the Jungle - The Fugees, Busta Rhymes and A Tribe Called Quest - Rumble in the Jungle Soundtrack (1997)
15. Steppin' It Up (featuring Busta Rhymes and Redman) - The Love Movement (1998)
16. Find a Way - The ove Movement (1998)
17. Money Maker - The Love Movement (1998)
18. Start It Up - The Love Movement (1998)
19. Vivrant Thing - Q-Tip - Violator: The Album (1999)
20. Breathe and Stop - Q-Tip - Amplified (2000)

If you think I left something out feel free to tell me what you would have put on and what song it would replace in the comment section.

5 comments:

  1. Off topic: I didn't know they canceled Veronica Mars, McG. That's terrible. I loved the first season of that show. There was some schedule conflict and I missed the second season but I heard it was just as good. I'm quite surprised with the buzz the show kept generating that they'd cancel the show--and a little sad about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..it's really tough to make a single Cd and include everything that should be on it.

    I would definitely take off the 2 Q-Tip solo songs. I was not a fan at all of the direction he was heading and they don't sound like ATCQ songs.
    I would also remove Rumble In The Jungle. I always thought that song was boring and generic.

    You would HAVE to include Hot Sex, What?, and Oh My God. Those are 3 amazing classic songs.

    Good call on putting in Get It Together.

    I would personally also include Scenario Remix, We Can Get Down, stressed Out, and Clap Your Hands, and possibly Buggin' Out.

    I was not a fan of The Love Movement, so I would personally remove those songs, but I think we can agree that the Best Of A Tribe Called Quest would have to be a double CD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I think we can agree that a Best of A Tribe Called Quest should be a five disk box set (just pick up all of their albums), but for me this is a decent primer to the group.

    I can understand how some Tribe faithful didn't care for the Tip solo songs because they were more dance track compaired to the jazz feel of the group. Vivrant Thing puts me back to a great place in time, I guess puch comes to shove I could do without Breathe and Stop.

    When trimming down the disk the final five left out were extremely hard, Stressed Out, What?, and the Scenario Remix were part of the five that just made it.

    I never really cared for Oh My God because the Busta sample got on my nerves over time while Hot Sex, a decent song, just seemed like a too cliched rap song for the group.

    As for The Love Moment, I would put that just a step below the first three albums and put the group back to early glory after the mistep of Beats, Rhymes and Life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. buggin' out would be a great addition to this list
    as well as if the papes come and excursions

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great songs and I really need to work on a volumn 2.

    ReplyDelete