Friday, August 04, 2006

Every Mother's Child Sings a Lonely Song


Two Lights - Five for Fighting

With a name like you would think it would be a band that would get a few spins on Headbanger’s Ball. Instead the band broke out five years ago to the delight of moms everywhere with melodic piano driven songs that have been adult contemporary radio staples since, mostly due to the woe is me song through Superman’s eyes. Not that we need another whiny Superman, that's what Smallville is for. But anyways. And of course when I say band I mean John Ondrasik who is basically the whole band and obvious hockey enthusiast. As a piano enthusiast myself, I been trying to get into his music, but nothing has really locked on for me yet.

What was surprising at first listening to a Five for Fighting album was how political Two Lights is. Granted it is not all that overt or even takes sides. This starts with the opener Freedom Never Cries with lines like, “I never loved the soldier until there was a war” and a verse about seeing a father and son on television with the younger holding a gun. World is a pseudo-environmental song asking, “What kind of world do you want?” And also warns, “Be careful what you wish for, history starts now.” On the other hand there is the tongue in cheek (I think) California Justice where he wonders why people care about him killing another dude. Although I have no clue why he claims Lance Armstrong is the new sheriff in town. I'm sure he’s no Sheriff John Brown. Another song that could go into the sarcasm category is Policeman’s Xmas Party where the cops are likened to Inspector Clouseau and they like to dance to Everybody Wants You.

But it’s not all pseudo politics on Two Lights as there are plenty of song that will keep your moms tuned into the radio for the next year. The current single The Riddle sounds like it’s a sequel to 100 Years. If there were proms for middle aged people, I Just Love You would be a staple at them for years to come. On Road to Heaven Ondrasik trades in his piano for an electric one, but the song is bogged down by its sappy message. But when it comes down to it, his voice is an acquired taste that I still haven’t obtained yet. In fact, his voice is most palatable on Policeman’s Xmas Party where he pulls a circa Just a Friend. Now that’s entertaining.

Song to Download - I Just Love You

Two Lights gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.


Five for Fighting on iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment