Monday, May 16, 2005

Star Wars Week - Over/Under


To start off Star Wars Week here on the 9th Green, I thought I start it off with a little game of Over/Under. For those who are unaware how to play, here are the rules. The commissioner will provide you with a number and an explanation of what the number represents. Then you go into the comments section and guess whether you think the actual number will be over or under the number provide (an example is provided in the comment section). And unless your name is Michael Wilbon, you are not allowed to push (pick the number provided). Also, I have not read the book, played the game, seen an advanced screening, and I have avoided spoilers the best I can, so if you know the answers to the following, please do not ruin it for the rest of us please. Now on to the game:

It's time for the game that's seeping the nation, Over/Under. Let's get our first number from the commissioner, Statboy*.
  1. 3 - Total screen time in minutes for Darth Vader
  2. 10 - Total Jedi killed onscreen
  3. 5 - Number of original trilogy references not already mentioned in Episodes 1 or 2.
  4. $30,141,471- Domestic opening day gross (This is how much Episode II grossed, Episode I took in $28,542,349)
  5. 20 - The number of years before Star Wars Episode VII is released.
*Statboy, Pardon the Interruption, and ESPN are in no way affiliated with Scooter McGavin's 9th Green.

4 comments:

  1. I. Under - I think that Darth will show up in the last frame, and that will be it.

    II. Over - We know that all but 3 (Yoda, Anakin, Obi-Wan) die between Episodes II and IV, so I feel we will see most, if not all the rest bite the dust in Episode III.

    III. Over - Chewbacca is a given and I sure Lucas has some surprises, like the Death Star in Episode II, up his sleeve.

    IV. Over - This one is easy.

    V. Under - Lucas said he envisioned 3 trilogies but will not do anymore Star War movies. I have a feeling he will change his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Over - I think they'll show some footage of him helping to wipe out the remaining Jedi and not just have the transition be the last scene. However, I woild not be surprised if it went that route.

    II. Over - That is, as long as we count ones that aren't specifically named. Not all die, but that's a whole EU continuity thing anyway.

    III. Way over - George is proud that this film ties up ALL the loose ends and connects the trilogies. References may be so frequent that it almost becomes annoying.

    IV. Over the moon - Duh.

    V. Never - Lucas sold the rights to all of the material covering the timeframe after Episode VI. All of that material (Mara Jade, Solo's and Leia's children) is covered in EU television, novels and comics. George could never make a final trilogy now because his vision would conflict with what the many writers who have already established that history have written.

    P.S. If you don't know, but you probably do, EU means "Extended Universe." Are you going to the opening night showing? I'll be there at midnight. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. over, over, over, over, under.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Over - I think he will be in a longer ending scene

    2. Under - I think on-screen will be less (unless you would count a ship blowing up with them on it as "on screen"). But , I think many Jedi are still around in the in-between 3 and 4 time, to be slowly hunted down and killed.

    3. Over - He loves those references.

    4. Over - Ticket prices have gone up!

    5. Over - If it ever happens.

    ReplyDelete