Saturday, April 23, 2005

2005 NFL Draft day 1


Back during my Super Bowl review, I noted that one of the best commercials was the "Everyone is Undefeated Tomorrow" Ad the NFL puts together every year. It's something that gives every fan of every team hope. Then it all crashes down for some come draft day, for instance if you team has no first round pick and wastes the first second round pick on a punter (sorry Jet fan). With the second longest first round ever, I guess I was lucky that Cleveland drafted early so I didn't have to sit around waiting for their pick. I could watch the opening, and then come back around dinner time for the second round. He is my analysis of the Brown's draft picks today.

1st round (3rd overall) -
Braylon Edwards (WR Michigan) - Hear is a wasted pick. Where the ESPN commentators kept on bringing up that no WR with more that 60 catches last season, I attribute that to a horrible Jeff Garcia. Plus the Browns could spread it around with Andre' Davis, Dennis Northcutt, and Quincy Morgan/Antonio Bryant. Then you also had quality receiving TE's. So WR should not been a priority for the Browns. With that said, if I were to draft a WR, I would have gone with Mike Williams.

2nd Round (34th overall) -
Brodney Pool (S Oklahoma) - This was puzzling because as they took a 2nd round S last year as well as two other S that were taken on the first day in recent drafts. They miss a good opportunity to draft a DL with three quality ones were on the board. With most of the DL jumping ship to Denver in the off-season, that should have been a priority.

3rd Round (67th overall) -
Charlie Frye (QB Akron) - A solid chose here. He will have to fight with Josh Harris (another MAC alum) and Luke McCown for who gets to hex Trent Dilfer with a Tommy Maddox type injury so he will be able to jump in like Ben Rothlifnufttnutfutwer. I always like taking cold weather QB as they tend to do better late in the season and with Akron being just down from Cleveland, Frye will be more prepared for the weather than McCown (Louisiana Tech).

I give day 1 for the Browns a C+. For day two, the Browns need to focus on both lines, on offence and defense. I would also like to see them pick up some more draft picks or a DL and ship William Green out of town, but that might be too much to ask for. On a side note, do the Lions think if they keep on stockpiling 1st round WR’s, then Harrington will finally live up to his potential?

1 comment:

  1. 1. The Jets didn't waste a pick. They lost in the playoffs because their kicker couldn't make a clutch kick (several times.) Mike Nugent was the absolute best kicker available, and to boot he was Ohio State's team captain. The kid has leadership skills out the wazzoo and is Mr. Clutch. It may have been a little high for the pick, yes, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be. And you incorrectly labeled him a punter. ;)

    2. Agree on your Browns analysis. Getting Charlie Frye that low could be the steal of the draft. Wow! That kid has NFL started written all over him, in my opinion.

    3. I keep thinking that the Lions were preparing for Rogers to be hurt again. The only problem I see is that with three star WRs, someone has to play the slot. They might be scary on the same field together, but one of those Williams' is gonna get his head taken off going across the middle. Guess we'll see how that works out. :)

    Isn't the draft fun? My boy from Arkansas, Matt Jones, went to my second favorite team (Jacksonville) so I'm thrilled. Philly (my favorite team) did alright, but I wasn't too happy with the 2nd round selection.

    ReplyDelete