Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In or Out: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Edition vol. 2


Next Monday the latest crop of inductees are getting a spot reserved at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and in honor of that, AOL has a list of twenty-five potential future inductees from the late eighties and nineties for people to vote on. Oddly when I voted, each and every artist had a no vote. Here is the second of third posts, ten each post. I’ll have two different ways of deciding. First whether they will actually get in and if I had a vote, would I vote that artist in. Since that only leaves five for the last post, going to add some of my favorite artists not included on their list. Also, if you would like me to dissect your favorite artist, leave a comment and I’ll whip up their odds of getting. Like I said, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is next Monday and for the very first time (at least that I’m aware of) VH1 Classic will be covering it live starting at 8:30. You can also catch VH1’s usually butcher cut down version the following Saturday at 9:00. Now onto the list:

(Check out vol. 1)
(Check out vol. 3)

Beck (eligible 2018)
Will Get In: No
Would I Vote: No

Same boat as Radiohead where the critical success hasn’t quite translated to mass appeal. But at least Beck had more legitimate follow-up hits to actually break him out of one hit wonderdom.


Sheryl Crow (eligible 2018)
Will Get In: No
Would I Vote: No

Started out a Grammy-darling with plenty of good songs but good songs don’t get you into the Hall. You need great albums to get in, something she lacks.


Green Day (eligible 2016)
Will Get In: Yes
Would I Vote: No

I was never of fan of their pop-punk beginnings so I knock off points for that. But that is not to say if they keep on releasing more albums like American Idiot, I could have my mind changed in the future. But as of now, one great album does a hall of famer make unless it is an instant classic which American Idiot wasn’t.


Eminem (eligible 2024)
Will Get In: Yes
Would I Vote: No

Again, Eminem is the same as Jay-Z in that he has to wait on how the Hall looks at rappers. But he has the critical and commercial success so far that voters like. Also since he made noise in the late 90’s/early 00’s, the Hall will need to induct someone during that era because you can’t let Limp Bizkit or Jennifer Lopez in. Personally he has some great song but he limits himself at times by pandering to his audience, watering songs that will play well with teenage white girls which weighs heavy on my vote.


Pearl Jam (eligible 2016)
Will Get In: Yes
Would I Vote: Yes

I’m not sure if the Hall will be all that nice to the grunge era after Nirvana, who is a lock. But despite a mid-nineties drop-off, I have a feeling Pearl Jam has enough to get in as their first three albums are undeniable and should be in everyone’s collection. Plus their extracurricular activities such as their war against Ticketmaster and their many political statements will help their cause.


Beastie Boys (eligible 2011)
Will Get In: Yes
Would I Vote: Yes

Like I’ve said before that we don’t know how the Hall will react to rap artists but with that said, either way Run-DMC and Tupac are locks and add the Beastie Boys to that list as they are one of the rare rap acts that can crossover to rock fans. With two classic albums along with four great ones, their induction is a lock, but look for the boys to add to that this year as it looks like we will get a new album later this year.


Mary J. Blige (eligible 2017)
Will Get In: No
Would I Vote: No

This is a hard one. Mary has had a few great songs throughout the years as well as appeared on others, but much like Sheryl Crow, she is missing that classic album. Unlike Crow, Mary could still have one in her which will boost her resume to the point of getting in. Granted she has already performed with so many artist already in, which may be enough with some voters already.


The White Stripes (eligible 2025)
Will Get In: No
Would I Vote: No

It’s just too early to call this one yet. Fell in Love with a Girl was such a breath of fresh air back in 2002 when teen pop was destroying music but a few great albums isn’t enough to get you in. Ask me again in a couple months and I may change this to a yes as Jack White said an album is finished and will be released as soon as the machine will let it out. This album may be the one to put the band over the hump. Then maybe White can focus on getting The Raconteurs Hall worthy.


R. Kelly (eligible 2017)
Will Get In: No
Would I Vote: No

Here some news that may hurt the rumors that I’m a musical snob: Not only do I own one R. Kelly Album, I actually own two (12 Play, R. Kelly) and I will definitely grab the Trapped in the Closet DVD whenever R gets around to releasing the final chapters. With that said and even if I disregard the whole “other” video, I don’t think Kelly is Hall worthy. Now if you can guarantee me that Dave Chappelle inducts him, maybe I’ll change that to a yes vote. If you can't firgure out why I would want to see Chappelle to induct R. Kelly, check out this very not safe for work video.


Mötley Crüe (already eligible)
Will Get In: No
Would I Vote: No

Again, is this a joke, right? If you let the Crue in, it opens a Pandora’s Box of hair bands like Bon Jovi, Poison and Warrant and then the hall loses all credibility.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta be honest, I don't pay much attention to the Rock Hall as I think it is too subjective. They have let people in that I think are atrocious and did nothing original for music (Blondie, anyone?) and then snub others who had a lot of influence on a genre (stevie ray vaughn, though I am not sure he is quite eligble, but he should be since he formed over 25 years ago...hell, he has been dead for about 17-18 years as it is).

    As a side note, it is Jack White of the White Stripes, and Pearl Jam's battle was with Ticketmaster, not Napster. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly why I shouldn't go on long marathon writing session (I wrote the first 20 in one sitting) so I most had Metallica on my mind when I put Napster instead of Ticketmaster. Unfortunately I have yet to find a factchecker that will work for free. Now excuss for the Jack Black/White thing besides stupidity.

    On a side note, Stevie Ray Vaughn doesn't become eligible until next year (first album came out in 1983).

    ReplyDelete