Thursday, March 02, 2006

Toss Up Lost vs Veronica Mars week 10 2/3


Let me start this week’s Toss Up at the end of : what was up with Eko’s beard trim? I’ve seen all the Lost faithful rave about last night’s episode yet none of them mentioned the whole scene. Lost has had a bunch of head scratching moments throughout its run, but the Eko scene wins the most odd award. So let me get this straight, Eko takes out his knife that makes us think he’s going to kill the Other (and yes he was an Other, more on that later), but then puts the knife to his own neck making us think he was going to repent by taking his own life, only just to chop of the weird goatee thing you would normally see at a Phish concert. Yeah right.

But beside that whole sequence last night was up there with the Hurley and Eko episodes, but then again that’s not saying much. Now back to Dorothy’s uncle (get it Henry Gale, oh never mind) it became obvious that he was an Other with the comment he made to Locke about Jack being the leader. This is you classic divide and conquer plan. I don’t think some random billionaire would think of this quickly after being torture or would even think that doing it would help him.

Speaking of the Others, it seemed my theory of two opposite tribes that habitated the island pre-crash, a group of Others and a group of Them (see it in depth:
Toss Up). Basically it stated that Ethan was separate from Zeke but as we saw in the Claire flashback that the two are working together, and I didn’t even need to see Kate discover the fake beard to know that was Zeke who summoned Ethan because his voice was very distinctive. But this just begs the question why is Zeke, and presumable his homies, dressing up like an extra from ?

Then we have our very first flashbacks that took place exclusively on the island (and I’m not counting The Other 48 Days because that was a recap, not a flashback to get technical). They did a really good job with the first couple flashbacks making the audience wonder if it were in fact a flashback or just Claire’s mind playing tricks on her. They also made us assume that we also got our first glimpse of Alex, Rousseau’s kid, but I’m not to quick to assume that.

Back in present day, the chicks found, presumable, the third bunker mention in the orientation film. Although I was a little disappointed that we didn’t run into Michael or Desmond (remember them?) inside the bunker. And with the entire bunker stripped bare, why would Zeke leave the Deliverance outfit there. Since it’s only been a couple of days since the confrontation with Locke, Sawyer, and Jack, it means he’s been back there recently, so why take everything, but continue to stash you beard there? Just another question in the long list of questions that the show still needs to answer.

aired its last repeat of the season yesterday and now we get all new ones starting March 15th (America's Next Top Model gets a two hour premier next week). Then we are moving into what Rob Thomas call the best stretch of episodes (this is paraphrased) in the show’s history capped off with episode 18 (the one we sat in on) which Rob said is up there with A Trip to the Dentist, his all time favorite episode not to mention the inaugural winner of the Best Episode awards at the
Scooter Television Awards. I hope Rob wasn’t too disappointed that I didn’t have a trophy for him.

I’m hoping to have my picture problems solved by the weekend, and I’ll also sort through my taped interviews and transcribe a few of them this weekend too. Until then, for those interesting in what’s upcoming on the show, all I’ll say is I (heart) Dick. Stay tuned this weekend for more.

10 comments:

  1. I can't read this post because I haven't watched Lost yet. But...before you happen across my American Karaoke-type blog..I hope you can take a joke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel so bad. I heart Beaver, and there's not even a clever t-shirt for that. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, even in all my sophomoric tendasies, I never though to ask about an I (heart) Beaver t-shirt. I really need to get one made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scooter, Eko had 2 little beard ponytails (one for each of the Others he'd killed) when he confessed to Henry Gale he cut off those two reminders utlimately absolving himself of the guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get the beard thing either! Thanks duckyxdale for the explanation.

    How many stinkin' hatches are on this island? And I'm with you, what happened to Desmond? Why haven't we run into him again? Did he get killed? Leave?

    I didn't get the reference to the authors that Locke kept talking about either. Was that supposed to make the Other trip up or something?

    And Claire never calls her baby by it's name. It's always "my baby", it's becoming annoying.

    I'd love a blog visit. I'm dedicating one post per week to TV shows (Lost, Amazing Race, Idol & more.) http://carmenhasgonetoplaid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee, and I just thought Eko was a Captain Lou Albano fan. This is the worst analogy on the show yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we get some Hanes t-shirts and some iron-on letters, I'm sure we can get some I *heart* Beaver t-shirts. If we want to get crazy, we can put I *heart* Dick on the back. Appropriate for all family functions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am feeling a little crazy, well by crazy I mean drunk, and that may not be the best time to use an iron though. Someday though, someday...

    ReplyDelete
  9. When straight boys are drunk is usually when they actually realize...

    I *heart* dick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly it wasn't until I was drunk when I realized I (heart) Beaver.

    ReplyDelete